Electra Bicycle Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
Appreciate the comments .
The nirve is a work in progress, and probably always will be .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time poster here. I somehow became an Electra Hub Bike collector / restorer / mod guy. My girlfriends daily driver is a chopper fork Straight 8, and I like to ride either the Ghostrider or Rat Fink. The dark cherry red bike is my very first craigslist Rat Fink BEATER of a bike. Originally had failing 3 speed hub, bent cranks, horribly failed/chipped powder coating, etc. I chose Prismatic Powders Illusion Malbec for the powder coat... new cranks... new hub.. seat... handlebars... tires. After failing to find a suitable fork brace with proper clearance I had our talented 3D tech at work design & mill this part from plastic. Later we'll do an aluminum version :) Oh... I found a drop in 9v-24v LED H4 lamp replacement from China.. then wired 2 rechargeable lithium 9v in series for 18v. This gives me nearly 2 hours run time. I also ran a pushbutton switch in the original hole for the wires that exit near the mount. The bright red bike is an early Townie 7i that was also in really bad shape. Restoration included new powder coat, seat, re-chrome goose neck, Nantucket basket, grips, NOS shifter, tires, and eventually headlight.
p1317787080-4.jpg

p1317787401-4.jpg

p1317787089-4.jpg

p1317787083-4.jpg

First time poster here. I somehow became an Electra Hub Bike collector / restorer / mod guy. My girlfriends daily driver is a chopper fork Straight 8, and I like to ride either the Ghostrider or Rat Fink. The dark cherry red bike is my very first craigslist Rat Fink BEATER of a bike. Originally had failing 3 speed hub, bent cranks, horribly failed/chipped powder coating, etc. I chose Prismatic Powders Illusion Malbec for the powder coat... new cranks... new hub.. seat... handlebars... tires. After failing to find a suitable fork brace with proper clearance I had our talented 3D tech at work design & mill this part from plastic. Later we'll do an aluminum version :) Oh... I found a drop in 9v-24v LED H4 lamp replacement from China.. then wired 2 rechargeable lithium 9v in series for 18v. This gives me nearly 2 hours run time. I also ran a pushbutton switch in the original hole for the wires that exit near the mount. The bright red bike is an early Townie 7i that was also in really bad shape. Restoration included new powder coat, seat, re-chrome goose neck, Nantucket basket, grips, NOS shifter, tires, and eventually headlight.
p1317787080-4.jpg

p1317787401-4.jpg

p1317787089-4.jpg

p1317787083-4.jpg
Greetings from a fellow Electra owner.

Last edited:
Just added another bike to the collection so now it tallies up to nine...... Not going to do anything to this one except clean it up a bit - just a bit of surface rust on some of the chrome work!! Bought the Electra "Betty" for my girlfriend so that we can go cruising along the beaches this summer with me on the custom bike as she didn't want to use her MTB!!

Hopefully she doesn't go into the back room tonight where the MTB's are so I can give it a bit of a clean up tomorrow whilst she is at work. I think she'll be happy as she doesn't know that I have bought it for her yet......

I'll have to start another thread just on some of the bikes I have now got!

Nice. My Mrs has an Electra Cherie - similar style bike - and she likes it a lot.
What's going on with that rack though? No doubt you'll suss a better fitment.

Yep a couple of little things that I would like to do with it. Although I took it for a quick spin and as I cant bend my leg fully I couldn't ride it properly conventionally using the seat so I sat on the rack and pedalled that way!!!!
A) Lucky I am a taller guy and can ride it like that and B) the rack took my body weight as well..... ha ha ha

Cool. My wife has a Townie but no cruiser...maybe I'll get her one some day. The Bettys look pretty cool

Seems quiet around here lately, even on the Electra forums and facebook pages, have folk gave up on Electra since the Trek takeover? The new 2016 bikes look great and i have my eye on one for my xmas present but still deciding which one till i see more pics and info.

Seems quiet around here lately, even on the Electra forums and facebook pages, have folk gave up on Electra since the Trek takeover? The new 2016 bikes look great and i have my eye on one for my xmas present but still deciding which one till i see more pics and info.
Dezzie I'm customizing my Electra cruiser (pics coming soon)...not really in the market for a brand new one at this time. I don't know about the UK but Rat Rod posted a thread about how pricey some of the attitude cruisers are (post Trek takeover). USD 1000 for a couple of examples ( Straight 8 and another I can't recall). Which one are you considering?

Last edited:
Dezzie I'm customizing my Electra cruiser (pics coming soon)...not really in the market for a brand new one at this time. I don't know about the UK but Rat Rod posted a thread about how pricey some of the attitude cruisers are (post Trek takeover). USD 1000 for a couple of examples ( Straight 8 and another I can't recall). Which ones are you considering?
Swing and a miss, he referenced a Ghost Rider and a Rat Fink.
ELECTRA PRICES? topic in Bike Talk forum
(edited for accuracy)

Last edited:
Dezzie I'm customizing my Electra cruiser (pics coming soon)...not really in the market for a brand new one at this time. I don't know about the UK but Rat Rod posted a thread about how pricey some of the attitude cruisers are (post Trek takeover). USD 1000 for a couple of examples ( Straight 8 and another I can't recall). Which one are you considering?
Undecided yet until more pics and info are released, i like the new fat tyred cruisers coming out, lots of potential, i like the new revil 3 and the new relic as i have wanted a tank bike for a while, but i use my cruisers for distances up to 40 plus miles on nice summer days so logic dictates an 8 bal with the 8 speed hub and disk brakes, glad the newer bikes are coming with a front disk at least in the UK, so far my experiences of a caliper on my Rallysport and the drum brake on my 2015 Felt Red Baron are pretty useless and quite a handfull going down big steep banks, i have to use a combination of both brakes like an ABS brake and alternate between both so i dont overheat the hub etc. Around 600 to 650 for the new bikes, 750 for the 8 speed 8 ball.

Feels like every forum regarding Electras seems quiet lately? i find it puzzling, anyhoo, there is someone near me with an Electra Punk in very good condition, not that keen on the paint scheme so wondered if anyone with the tank bikes have any new pics of builds in the works, wether its a Mod, Punk, Zarape, Mullholland, you get the picture, seen many made to look older like the military style and Tigersharks etc but has anyone done any with wide rims, chrome springers etc? Love to see an indy on 80mm rims and a chrome springer front end, seen some lovely Zarape and vince bikes with wide rims, anymore? I need ideas as i was thinking of a possible tank bike new after xmas but its not often one pops up only a few miles away for less than half the price of a new one so may snap it up!

a few pics of my old electra bikes, both sold long ago...

rallysport lowrider rat.
2hmocuh.jpg

fz5hcl.jpg

flying sue in various builds.
230i2h.jpg

2larpe9.jpg

281zafs.jpg

a3nuhj.jpg

b46v0y.jpg

o7m3uq.jpg

the chainwheels have been built by a german company for the bikeshop elbcoast psycles where i used to work until it has been shut down.

i just was the testrider for the wheels because at that time it was the easiest/cheapest way to get them rollin.

Wish the Electras had more interest these days, cant wait for the new 2016 bikes coming out, still undecided wether to build a TSP bike frame up or just buy a new Electra which would be cheaper, Comfort comes above everything for me, chronic back pain and arthritus is not worth me shelling out the cash on something i wont know if its comfortable for upto 50 miles rides but all the Electras i have ridden so far with a nice Brooks have been great, just cant decide on doing a tank bike or having an 8 ball or Ghostrider size i just dont like being too stretched out!

Wish the Electras had more interest these days, cant wait for the new 2016 bikes coming out, still undecided wether to build a TSP bike frame up or just buy a new Electra which would be cheaper, Comfort comes above everything for me, chronic back pain and arthritus is not worth me shelling out the cash on something i wont know if its comfortable for upto 50 miles rides but all the Electras i have ridden so far with a nice Brooks have been great, just cant decide on doing a tank bike or having an 8 ball or Ghostrider size i just dont like being too stretched out!
Have you considered a custom built frame, one that is sized specifically for you ?

I know electra is a good fit but as for custom, the uk is a tiny market with only 1 or 2 shops down south that import stuff so unfortunately its a case of order a frame and hope for the best. Think my best plan is get an electra then i can just focus on a few nice parts and leave it as have my eye on a new motorbike or scooter so that plays a roll in my budget.

Latest posts

Back