EL THUNDER( this thread is dead)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: EL THUNDER ( WE HAVE A ROLLER)

thanks guys. that front fork has been cut 6 in. and I still need to cut in down another 3in. to fit the head tube I am using. going to have a chain prob so need to work on that. we haven't tried to start the motor yet, waiting to finnish the bike first then I'll pull it and do some pulling apart as I need to look at a few things first inside. the muffler is stock but it had this little skinny stinger so I cut it off and put a longer and bigger one on. yep, will prob have to re jet some.
the new mig works great just the welder doesn't (me) been a long time like since the 70's that I welded and then it was arc, man is this different. burned some holes and welds suck. no real heat setting just the speed so takes some getting used to.lol. oh well, back to buildin.lol

Outlaw :lol:

had to build a jack shaft yesterday. I think it's the narrowist (that ain't no word)lol, jackshaft ever. it's 7mm between the 2 sprokets. I needed 5mm but couldn't get any smaller. I'll take a picture of it soon. I am just touching the back tire. it's tight. not sure what size sproket I'll run off the engine. the small one on the JS that will be off the engine is 18 tooth. the other is 16 and the rear is 16. I may weld on a 16 off the engine or may go for a 44. I don't know what the gear ratio is on the engine in the tranny as I haven't pulled it apart to see. just worried this little 49er at 4.5 HP and 4.3 FPoT will have a time turning that big wheel. we need a BBK of 70 cc and 12HP. that will turn it. having trouble with info about hop up parts for this engine. some people in the know says no and some say yes it can be done with alittle mod's. not sure who to beleave. hate to buy something and then it don't work.
well I see we have had alot of looks at this but not many responces. hope ya all like it. I know it's not a bike with ped's on it but what the hay. oh well back to buildin. :D

Outlaw

Looking GOOD, OUTLAW!...Need a pic of you (someone) sitting on it, to give us an idea of size.

as soon as I finnish redoing the frame, cutting the front part down 3" to shorten it. looks like I can keep the rest the way I have it except I have to cut the forks down another 3". wow 9" total. as soon as that is done ans we weld it all up, then I'll have my buddy at 220lbs sit on it and see if our welds hold.lol. then I'll get on it at 160lbs.lol. thanks for lookin.

Outlaw 8)

I REALLY want to see that jackshaft!
I finished up my drivetrain on Fugsley tonight with good clearance and some options for rear cogs.

just posted on yours. lookin good.

Outlaw

took a couple of days off from the build. need to rethink some things on this one. will get back to it monday, hope it won't rain. really got to get this done so I can get on with a couple of other bikes I need to finish and start my new kayak design. so onward we a go.

Outlaw 8)

looks like I get another day off as it's raining here and I can't weld but it's suposed to clear up for the rest of the week. oh well, guess tha's why I live in the great pacific nw. rain, cold and damp.lol. what a hoot. maybe I'll start building mossey bikes.lol. so another day gone.

Outlaw 8)

004.jpg

Is it me or does it look like the frame is twisted some????? are the wheels in line?

it was just set up real quick to see what changes was needed. just barly tacked together. found what I need to change but haven't done it yet. lol. yup, a crooked bike, hmmm wonder how it would ride. now back to buildin if the rain ever stops here.lol

Outlaw 8)

got to do some welding yesterday. shorten the front frame tubes 3" and found the rear end was out so cut it off and re-welded, now it's level. I kept looking at it so put my level on it and yep it was out. now it's good to go. going to re-weld the front end up today since we have some more sun,yea. hopefully I can finish welding the frame up so we can start doing some other things to it. supposed to start raining sat again. bummer. well thats it for now. stay tuned. :)

Outlaw 8)

that is wicked thunder comin.lol. thanks eddie.

Outlaw 8)

Where is that jackshaft photo? I want so see how the drivetrain is run.

that thing is so skinny the axal will not work so I got a chanch to go look for a 3/8 24thread all threaded rod and no I can't find any so I found a die so now I will see if I can cut more threads on the axel and that should do it. will work on that tommorow and if it does I'll put it in its bracket I made and take some pic's. hoppe this will work.lol

Outlaw 8)

Re: EL THUNDER ( JACKSHAFT)

ok, here is pic's of the jackshaft I made.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

the gears are about 7mm apart. thats how close things are. so that is it so far. yes I did some more stuff today but didn't get pic's yet. thanks for lookin.

Outlaw 8)

Cool, but I am still having a hard time visualizing how you are going to mount this and make it work?
Can't wait to see the finished drivetrain.
Nice work!

as soon as I finnish welding up the frame I'll do a mock up for the drive train and then weld it all in. the hardest part will be mounting a gear on to the hub where the wheel use to go. think I got it fiqured out so will see. the engine has it's own gears inside so I will run a 24 tooth on the engine hub then the chain will go to a 18 tooth on the jack shaft. the other gear is also an 18 tooth on the jack shaft which another chain will go to a 24 tooth on the rear wheel. so this will give me a 1 to 1 ratio and the gears in the engine will be the deciding factor if the motor can turn that big fat wheel back there. if not I'll have to do some other things like maybe a BBK and get the HP up to 12 hp or better then that shpuld turn that wheel.lol.

Outlaw 8)

well got alittle more done today. made up my brackets to mount my tractor seat and get ready to do some more welding to get all the pecies all welded in. want to get this bad boy painted soon. still working on getting the front sproket fiqured out on how I will mount it. pic's soon.

Outlaw 8)

Re: EL THUNDER ( new pic's)

here are a couple of new pic's of the tractor seat with shock and the jackshaft just sitting where it will go. hope ya like it. thanks for looking. :)

097.jpg

096.jpg

thats it for now. 8)

Latest posts

Back