Dyno hub- front Time to look inside

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
:43:Time to look inside
IMG_2453.JPG

GH-6 hubs are rad. I never had the courage to crack one open, as far as the generator itself, b/c Sheldon Brown kinda freaked me out about it, but I do own a regular GH-6 front as well as an AG which is a 3 speed rear with the dynamo bits on the NDS...

The tricky part is getting it all back together and functional.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IMG_2621.JPG
Here's one I did a while ago

I have one of these on my Rudge. Puts out tons of 3 or 5 volt (drunk so not sure) . The magnets are super strong if I remeber right, I think I found the specs on the old Sheldon Brown site. I can pull mine back apart if you need some visuals to get it generating again.

GH6 hubs put out 6volts; the first dynohubs made by Sturmey were GH12s (which made 12volt power), and they briefly made a GH8 (yep; 8volt) but i've never even seen one of those. GH12 and GH8 hubs are pretty scarce, and they'd need to be run with 12 volt and 8 volt lighting systems, respectively. They made the GH6 from the early 50s through the 80s; these are most common and the vast majority of modern bike lights run off of 6volt power. FWIW, the GH6 is rated to pump out 2watts at 12mph; you'd beed to hook up a voltmeter to see what a specific hub is actually producing. From what I understand, they're kinda variable...

where do I look to "Date of Manufacture " them.:nerd:

Looking at the inner wall of the gen side from the "normal" side of the hug, you will see 4 bolts. Between 2 of these bolts, you will find the "Sturmey-Archer" insignia; between the opposite 2 bolts, you will find "ENGLAND" embossed on the hubshell and, below that, the date code. Mine was built in March of 1973 so, under the "ENGLAND," it reads "3 1973." Least that's where it's found on a 73....

Mine says 70... i turned it over to look ......all the bearings on the side fell out ..... and ran away...:confused::mad:

here's one i did awhile back
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back