DX 29er - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ok, well maybe 700c is more accurate but 29er sounds cooler :lol: . I picked up what I think is a dx frame of unknown year in a bundle of bikes and parts that I picked up a little while ago.I originally planned on building a klunker with nexus 8 wheelset I had. I cold set the rear to accept the 8 but then decided that I was going to use the wheels on something else. Well I still liked the way things were looking so I stuck on the 700c wheels and I think this is the direction I will go. I knocked off the majority of the rust and used a little naval jelly to get more of it off. Then I hit with a couple coats of amber shellac, which is quickly becoming my favorite method on rusty metal.

Here's how it started.

A few more parts on it (sorry for the crappy pics).

I used most of the parts I was planning for the klunker build. The 26" bmx fork was a really close fit for the wheels.

I just need to get the crank in, upholster the seat, and narrow the bars a few inches on each side before final assembly.

patman73 said:
looks like your bottom headset bearing is installed upside down & not any grease !
And he left off the top nuts, crank and chain! Probably just doing a mock up... :wink:

Bike is looking cool Kram! Should fly with that wheel set on it!

Luke.

I like this bike a lot. If it were me, I'd chop 1-1/2 to 2" off the bars to narrow them. But ya, this thing looks great. It's gonna be fast.

Jonathan- I think that's why I really like the shellac. If you scratch it any way you just pull out a brush and touch it up.

I got the bars narrowed, headset spacer made, and found a bearing that would work today. I ended up taking 2" off of both sides of the bars. I need to upholster the seat and then there isn't much left to do on this one.

Close up of the shellac.

Got the seat all done today.
image.jpg

A few more details...

I had a set of heavily rusted cranks from my '37 schwinn. I degreased them and hit them with a few coats of shellac like the frame. The chainring I pulled off a Frankenstein bike and it says crown Japan on it. Maybe from a bmx or something.
image-1.jpg

I've done this on most of my builds,used an old spoon for a brake strap. Sorry the pic is so dark.
image-2.jpg

I had these grips on the bike that I used to have the wheelset on. It was a pair of dingy white schwinn grips with a bunch of layers of shellac on them to turn them brown.
image-3.jpg

I'll try and get some good pics with my camera soon.

Awesome build I did a 26 schwinn cantilever 700c build a couple of weeks ago and I love it I had to put a 700c fork on for tire clearance up front The bmx fork I wanted to use wouldn't accept the wheel I really like the way yours looks with the tubular fork and the shelac patina is amazing nice work all around

Thanks for the compliments.

oldcruiser26- I looked up your build and it came out really nice. I have had the wheelset on a couple of frames and they are a lot easier to fit on a frame that has rear facing dropouts.

Gary- Shellac is easy to do and if you live somewhere cold you can just do it inside. I used a super cheap foam brush on this one and it worked better than nicer brushes that I have used.

I got the bike all finished and took it for a ride. The 44-18 gearing feels really good and the bikes is super fast and tight. It's probably the nicest riding bike I have. The headset still wasn't feeling right but with some bearing and cup swapping I got it all working great. I took some nice photos and will make a thread in the gallery section in the next couple of days.

10.jpg

That thing looks awesome! Love those big wheels, I bet a 48/16 gear on a good stretch of flat road, that thing would fly!!

Wow, I absolutely love this bike. Great work. The spoon idea is a nice touch.

Back