Driftwood Cruiser #1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dpbrown3000 said:
The next bike will be Mahogany - should be more like 47-48 lbs. Rat on!

When can we expect to see the "Ultra-Lite" balsa wood version? :wink:

Awesome work, BTW. Certainly much cooler then those bamboo/wicker bikes, in that other thread.

This thing is soooo beautiful! The grain w/ the pin striping over it is unbelievable! Keep up the great work. Way to represent AZ!!!

Well, to represent AZ the frame would have to be made out of Palo verde, that is the AZ tree :lol: a Cactus bike would be a bit uncomfortable...

Cool ride, I love it! what is the weight of the frame alone? I guess it rides smoother than a steel bike although it is heavier.

2wheelflyer,

I was thinking a mesquite bike. ?? I love the look of Mesquite but it is a beast to work with - and really heavy. This bike is right at 50 lbs. I think a comprable sized steel bike would be about the same +-. And yes, much smoother than my steel cruiser (GT Roadster). Thanks for the love - you from AZ?

fatkid said:
Hey, I'm in Mesa. I want to check this thing out. We should do a bike cruise at second Fridays in downtown Mesa. It's a little less crowded than first Friday.

There is also a weekly group ride that starts at Tempe Beach Park (NW corner of Rio Salado and Mill) every Tuesday at 7:30. They typically ride to Papago Brewery or Old Town Scottsdale for beers and dinner. They're a very fun bunch, I think you guys would have a blast!

Of course Tour de Fat will be rolling through again soon too.

Thanks fellas. I'm in the process of making more frames - 2 of which will be African Mahogany. I'm hoping the Woody car guys will be interested. How sweet would that be - an old Woody beach car with a matching Driftwood Cruiser?

Dude, that thing is sick. Awesome job.

Does anyone know if there is a belt drive system for bikes that allows the belt to be split and spliced to make a custom length and eliminate the need to a removable rear dropout ( allowing the insertion of a single piece belt)?

if there is a belt drive system for bikes that allows the belt to be split and spliced to make a custom length
I don't believe so. Belts have continuous threads that run around them which supplies the bulk of their strength. Only chains can be split and reconnected at this time. There were bikes available (Rain City Choppers ?) that came with a belt drive but of fixed length. If you want belt drive you need to design the bike around what is available. Also, you need to use a toothed flat belt, I remember 4th Horseman's hubless bike had drive slippage as he used a V belt. I recently caught a partial glimse of this bike in the B2 thread.

i once saw such a belt, it was intended for emergency replacement of a serpentine belt. sory i dont have a name, where i saw it, or any more info for you. i dont even know if it would work for your application. but, they do exist.

Latest posts

Back