Diamond bike buildoff late entry - Onan The Barbarian

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, once the Bumble Bee bike was done RRDB (Rat Rod Dad's brother, Paul) decided he wanted to build something else. You know, have welder will travel.

For this one he got his inspiration from a couple of Worksman bikes. He saw Bicyclerick's black and yellow creation and also ran across a picture of a Worksman that looks like a road bike. I had never seen one like that before.

Worksman013.jpg

64e6_3.jpg

So he decided to build something similar from a road bike he picked up at the junk yard.

Here's a shot of the original frame after he stripped it of it's road bike goodies and stuck some "test" parts on to see how it might look.

5-4.jpg

Wanting to stay with the "stretch" theme, he began a stretch job on the road bike frame.

b.jpg

Here's how the stretched frame looked compared to a stock cruiser frame.

a.jpg

He then decided that what he liked about the Worksman frames was the double bar, so he decided to add one.

mine1.jpg

And here's the latest shot of the bike with a little paint on it.

Still lots of things to be done to get it on the road, but it's getting closer.

BETTER.jpg

Very cool, I've been wanting to get my hands on a worksman bike to make my own. Nice job.

Yeah, that was just a joke - especially since that contest ended long ago.

Just one more way to mod a diamond frame.

Thanks for the complement Xddorox, I'm sure my brother appreciates hearing someone else likes his handy work.

And no problem, Brett. I know we have another build off going on so my title was probably a little confusing. :lol:

I went over to my brother's house today and we put the finishing touches on "Onan the Barbarian".

Why "Onan", you ask. Well, the green is actually some left over paint my brother had from painting an Onan generator, so the name is fitting.

So here's a shot of the finished bike. I think it turned out pretty good - looking more like a bike from the 20's or 30's than a modern day road bike turned cruiser. It rides pretty decent too.

IMG_1665.jpg

And to think it started off as this ...

5-4.jpg

Thanks, Duke / Easy. I will tell him you guys liked his work.

As a little additional detail, he found some thin walled conduit that slid right over the top tube, so he cut the top tube in half and slid each end into the conduit to build the longer top tube.

The second bar took a bit more work because he had to grind the correct curve on each end of it where it butted up against the other parts so that it would weld okay.

He said he also found some bolts that slid into the rear arms, so he welded those in and then welded them to the "stretch" plate he built and mounted behind the BB.

The nice thing was that by going to a larger BB you could then run a single piece crank and cruiser sprocket on it and mate that up to the single speed coaster brake rear wheel.

Continuing my mining into the RRB archives to the beginning of RRDB (@Uncle Stretch ). Looks like this was his second frame build.

Back