CYCO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.....Here's some pics. I'm using a Cyclops branded frame. Its pretty much the same as a Schwinn frame with the drink holder.......I think Pacific Cycles own the Cyclops brand now. I'm using 3" wide rims with a Sachs Duomatic Kickback hub on the rear, Maxxis 24 x 2.4 Holy Rollers, and an Electra triple tree fork (which won't be a triple tree fork when I'm done with it ;))
I'll install a sneaky sound system and have a speaker in the cup holder. Flat brown will be the color with black forks and parts.
Progress will be sporadic, as I have started playing solo acoustic gigs again after a 10 year break, and do 2 or 3 gigs every weekend, as well as my day job.

P1010540.jpg

P1010541.jpg

469552_2.jpg

P1010532.jpg

I had an hour or so free this afternoon, so decided to start throwing some stuff at the frame to see what sticks.

I machined the bottom of the Electra fork down a while ago to get the bottom crown closer to the tire.
P1010547.jpg

Put the top crown underneath the lower crown and slid in the cut down fork tubes. They are quite solid with the double clamps, but I'll machine some threaded plugs to weld in the top of the tubes to hold them from the top as well.....kinda like a threadless headset.
P1010550.jpg

Fitted the wheels and a stem and bars and saddle to have a first look. I'm not sure if I'll use these bars.......I'm thinking a set of lower rise Moto bars. I'm pretty happy with this first mock-up though.......it's looking like i want it to.
P1010557.jpg

That's a pretty cool modern frame. Love the wheels! I think you officially have more work done than anyone else.

I really like those newer schwinn style cruiser frames, might see a lot more of them around after this build i bet !!!

Starting strong there Bean :cool:

Nice beefy frame and wheels.

That's a pretty cool modern frame. Love the wheels! I think you officially have more work done than anyone else.

I just picked up another one yesterday.....they're on sale again :eek:.
I wanted to hook in yesterday get a bit done, as I won't have any time for week or so to do any more work. I've had the tires fitted on the wheels for a while and the frame was stripped down the day I bought it. I only had to cut the fork tubes then quickly threw everything together. I think I'll cut 10-15mm off the bottom of the steer tube to drop the front down a bit lower to get the look I want.

Those are probably my favorite modern frame. I rode one around the Abacos Islands. This is already a serious cool build!

There's a lot of things you could do with that cup holder. My first thought was a speedo. Good starting point!

I've thought about a speedo or another type of gauge and set it out like a dashboard.....I even have a speedo the exact size. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a speaker, but anything can happen in 3 months....

I'm heading out of town this weekend for a couple of gigs, so decided to trim down the steer tube last night to drop the front lower. I cut 10mm off the tube and slid the fork tubes up a bit in the crowns........it's as low as I go now without having to find shorter crank arms or worry too much about pedal strike.
My main priority is this bike has to be very rideable (unlike most of my previous RRBBO entries), so I'm picking function over form this go round :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have no vintage parts, so thought I'd use some vintage tools.
P1010002.jpg

10mm cut off the steer tube.
P1010004.jpg

Back together for a look. Don't have a nice garage door, so I'll have to organize a better backdrop for pitcher takin' ;)
P1010010.jpg

Closer view of the fork.
P1010011.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Last edited:
Back