Colson Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a bike i just picked up tell me what you think

0505091457.jpg

0505091457b.jpg

Fantastic! That's a real beauty, not too many of the Colson motobikes turn up... it's even equipped with a New Departure three speed unit. 8) Way to go! Those have been doing really well lately, bringing about $300- $350 every time a kit goes up for sale.

It has a 2 speed new departure hub and shifter and rides very good for almost an 80 year old bike the only thing i have had to do to it is air the tires up, thanks.

bikes4me said:
It has a 2 speed new departure hub and shifter and rides very good for almost an 80 year old bike the only thing i have had to do to it is air the tires up, thanks.

Wow, that bike is quite a find. I would do as little as possible to it beyond carefully cleaning it. I would also not ride it much if at all until you have had a chance to clean and grease the insides of that hub, it might ride which is great, but those hubs and parts are expensive. Just a little bit of preventative maintainence should make sure you aren't shelling out more than you probably paid for the bike several times over to repair the hub.

when you tear it down go slow.......theres lots of discs in those and they can be a pain to line up
also....when you get it back together if it slips while in first youll need to adjust the cable tension(took me forever to figure that out....i rebuilt mine 3 times because it kept slipping :oops: )

sensor said:
when you tear it down go slow.......theres lots of discs in those and they can be a pain to line up
also....when you get it back together if it slips while in first youll need to adjust the cable tension(took me forever to figure that out....i rebuilt mine 3 times because it kept slipping :oops: )

GOOD ADVICE! :lol: The same is true with a Bendix manual shift two speed... took me forever to figure that out as well. I'd be riding up hills and then the crank would just spin without purpose forward while grinding loudly the whole time... rather embarassing. :oops: They can be very finicky hubs to adjust, but some patient, careful effort will have it adjusted in no time.

man ive gotta be honest.Those bars and seat look horrible!You should just send them to me and get some other ones.HAHA that bike is freakin sweet!!I havent had a nice old score like that for awile now.

Latest posts

Back