Chro-Mo Schwinn Traveller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I stopped at an antique store to buy a ladies Columbia out front. I go there for bikes all the time, so the owner introduced me to a scrapper friend who saves and flips all the bikes. :mrgreen: There are probably 50 bikes in his basement. There were a few bmx and some odd mountain bikes and such, and this guy. He sold it to me for $30. I don't know much about these, but I saw that it was chro-mo and that it had some decent Suntour components. I've wanted an older, lower buck road bike for a while, and this works for me.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? What the year might be, in particular? One of the lugs is stamped 73, but that seemed too old to be correct. What seat would it have had? Also, which wheel is original? The rear wheel has an ACS aluminum hub and a Belgian rim, the front has a an Aluminum Sunshine and an Araya rim. Finally: Any idea what one of these is worth? I don't plan on selling it, but I'm curious how I did.

ao1fmb.jpg

205pppl.jpg

35lahqq.jpg

6hp36p.jpg

30agjl0.jpg

4lon5z.jpg

2vmhahc.jpg

13zv821.jpg

wiae86.jpg

27wr40g.jpg

Serial number:

2mpip3a.jpg

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Great score Chris :mrgreen:

Thanks bud! :mrgreen:

Yeah, '83 seems likely. However, I was just working on this and I realized that the ACS rear hub is stamped "12 88 ACS". Is it safe to interpret that as a December, 1988 stamp?

That confuses me though. 1983 seems like a likely year for the bike, but the '88 rear wheel seems original... the tire is pretty darn old and has the "Fits Schwinn S6 Rims" marking on the sidewall.

Can anyone verify the year for sure or confirm whether the wheel is correct or not?

In any case, I LOVE THIS BIKE. I think eventually I want to swap the 27" wheels for some aluminum 700C's, but I guess I should actually ride the bike a little first. :oops:

I would think the sun/araya combo is the right one, since its a taiwanese bike. the s-6 is a 26" 597 size , that should have 27" 630 wheels I' m pretty sure..

Latest posts

Back