Can I save this brush coated bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok -- I have wanted this bike since I was a little boy and now itnis available -- in great condition it goes for 1300. I am never gonna sell it u less I find a better one but a problem-- it was repainted. It was a brush job -- the goo thing is it saved it from any real rust -- the bad thing is -- well it was repainted. Under the paint is the original red paint and he buy said it looks brand new.

The extra parts on there are nearninpossible to find and are expensive as heck. We are talking 400 for the fake tank on it. The bike is 250 and I am excited but but but -- do you think we can get the paint off without taking the paint below or is it a 100 percent repaint?

Attachments

• IMG_4146.JPG
    IMG_4146.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_4144.JPG
    IMG_4144.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_4143.JPG
    IMG_4143.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_4145.JPG
    IMG_4145.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 304
Is there anything that could take of the brush paint? Would a pressure washer take off the "bad" paint and leave the good paint do you think?

Is there anything that could take of the brush paint? Would a pressure washer take off the "bad" paint and leave the good paint do you think?
It is possible, but it may go straight through the plastics too...

Luke.

Usually housepaint (brushed) can come off with oven cleaner as the original paint is much more durable. Not sure about using it on the plastic tank. Goof-Off may also be a option. I would not recommend any paint stripper as they are more caustic.

Use oven cleaner:
- get a bucket of clean water and rag
- spray frame with oven cleaner and let sit
- Start with 3-5 mins before wiping, then experiement with leaving on longer
- wipe off with drenched rag

I am so e
Usually housepaint (brushed) can come off with oven cleaner as the original paint is much more durable. Not sure about using it on the plastic tank. Goof-Off may also be a option. I would not recommend any paint stripper as they are more caustic.

Use oven cleaner:
- get a bucket of clean water and rag
- spray frame with oven cleaner and let sit
- Start with 3-5 mins before wiping, then experiement with leaving on longer
- wipe off with drenched rag
I am so
excited to try this -- thank you so much and if it doesn't work I can just repaint!!!

Yep, brake fluid. I've used it on 1960's dash plastic parts for car resto to strip paint, doesn't do anything to the plastic. Proceed with caution and do some testing.

On the rest of the bike, experiment with different solvents to find something that will cut the brush paint and not get into the original. lacquer thinner, acetone, mineral spirits, gasoline. Might get lucky.

Yep I've used brake fluid on plastic model train parts too. But it'll take ALL the paint off, DON'T use it on the frame... I'd try something less caustic than oven cleaner on the frame first. A bowl of soapy water and a rag full of mineral spirits. Wipe the spirits on and use a bit of elbow grease, keep checking as you go, always ready to stop the action with a scrub of soapy water (with a different rag) but that's just me being cautious first...

Carl.

I also wouldn't start with the oven cleaner, the brushed-on paint likely isn't adhered all that well.
I don't think a pressure washer is a bad idea at all. I think there's a good chance the brushed on paint will fly right off.
When you have most of it off, start with mild ideas like Goo-Gone.
Cleaner wax might even work.

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber removed the paint on one of my Schwinn rebuilds and didn't touch the original paint. Part of the decal was still on the frame after the gun scrubber. You might have to resort to fine steel wool. Go slow and be careful. I have also had luck with a water soak. If it is latex based water will soften it overnight.

For the plastic tank, I would definitely go with the castrol super clean suggested by Muttley. It is the go to for many plastic modelers for stripping paint without damaging the model. I've also used it to clean spray paint off tail light lens (vandals :mad:), and it worked well. For spray paint, leave soaking overnight (aka 'a dip in the purple pond'), I assume house paint won't take as long.

Jason

Back