Built with non-believers in mind

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are y'all, I'm James. Now many people have heard me talk about a bike i had build(and still building), well here is the story. About November of 2011, I was sixteen years old. In being a teenager the first thing on my mind was driving. In Alabama you have to be sixteen to drive a car and fourteen to ride a motorcycle. Well I "tried" to get my permit on time. That didn't happen so I couldn't get my driver's licence. So the only thing was left to think about was a motorcycle, the thing I didn't have. I asked my parents could I get a motorcycle, you know the outcome of that. Since I am a enspiring designer and builder, I simply said, "OK, i'll build one myself." They said I was crazy and stop dreaming, haha. I mean exactly what I say im going to do, and I went and did some research. I discovered a type of antique motorcycle called board track racers. When I looked into them and saw their construction and went to work. With only thirty dollars, a thrift store down the street, and a brazing kit, I went to war. I wanted something different, a modern board tracker. I sat down and designed the bike myself, it looked good on paper. But when I cut up the bikes and mocked the frame up, It looked terrible:
c295e597.jpg
1dd27ced.jpg
6d2084af.jpg

When I realized how it started to look(nothing like the design), I said nope back to the drawing board. After awhile of staring at my wall in room and looking at the original design over and over:
0e43fc5e.jpg

I started several redesigns:
c0d7768b.jpg
12962ada.jpg
and still was confused. So i designed and built as I went. And things started to take shape. By then I turned seventeen and my dad had brought me a welder(thank you!!!!!!!!)

Cool story, dude. 8) This is exactly the way to start building, bike, motorcycle,car,anything.
Looks good on paper. So keep the pics coming! Good luck and have fun.

Now even though the bike build looks like it went smoothly, don't be fooled. I was calling myself "extending the rear fork for the rear suspension and ended up with a crooked, uneven mess. And then my pivot point on the rear suspension gave me heck because it was loose not strong and sturdy. But the same day I finished the frame, I got my seat on:
274d059a.jpg
25f121bd.jpg
0c86c4b9.jpg
ed4740e0.jpg

As we move on, everyting was moving smoothly and then problems arised. Being me, I had test rode the bike with good results. But one day while the garage, I was testing the rear suspension by setting on it. It was operrating and then the whole entire seat post and seat broke off while i was on it and hit me where women hit men to make them cry. so after a 5 minute tantrum of cursing, i cut and welded the seat back on:
76b89319.jpg

Some days later my dad had to go to work after his surgery some months ago and he was working the night shift. So in respect for him, I transported the bike and tool to my mom's house and finish work
42fea78b.jpg
245c19d9.jpg
984d591d.jpg

About two days later, I got tired of my raggedy pivot point and after some thinking, I replaced it with a bike hub. It worked well too(even though its still loose :? but i got the foot pegs on :mrgreen: :
ca97303f.jpg
1c25f100.jpg
b29ba967.jpg
a08ad35a.jpg
41e9cf74.jpg

As you can see, I turned the regular fork into a tripe tree:
c52e6caf.jpg
and got the handlebars back on, board track style:
4cec457d.jpg

One day I at my mentor's house, Mr. Dunson, reviewing pictures on the bike. Then in my study, I realized a problem, my bike was too high off the ground. It needs to be lower. With me running around in a frenzy, I decided to put on a springer fork to add a front suspension and to drop the front end. I didn't have the metal to build the rockers. So I waited on the "big man" upstairs for some help. I got the metal for the rockers and the bolts(thank you Mr. Dunson) I marked the locations and Mr. Duson drilled them for me:
ee5da7eb.jpg
and put them on the fork and now here is the bike in its current state:
a5e54271.jpg
7b9f3693.jpg
d14ad119.jpg

Ok, I can see, you mean business. For a first "build-out-of-nothing", it looks good. Boardtracker idea is great.
I really hope that all your welds are o.k., 'cause you felt what could happen if they ain't. :wink: (If it happens again, try to reinforce the bottomside of the seatpost)

Be cool, bro. 8)

thank yall, I am using going to use a lawnmower motor(vertical or horizontal) with a custom built electronic supercharger with a powerful electric drive system to give it a extra "oomph." Straight the enigne hp will range from 6 to 15 all engine. With the supercharger and electric drive system 20 to 40 hp. With frame sitiuation, im going to put every type of brace and reinforcements can think of look at and built. I don't want this frame to even twitch slightly.

Today was a glorious day, it was Sunday and Mr. Dunson was out in the garage. I looked at my front suspension design and went work. I made my shock and struts today out of a thick piece of steel bar, a huge bolt and two porch swing springs. I'll upload pics soon :D

Looking good!

Liking it so far..... :D

The front suspension goes on today and hopefully i can get the brake hub machined today, today is gonna be a good day 8)

Latest posts

Back