Brown Sugar Stick A Fork In It! It's Done 7-11-11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Brown Sugar TANK CONSTRUCTION UPDATE 6-12

Since the show is the last weekend before finished bikes have to be posted, I certainly hope so. I'd hate to miss the show because I was trying to finish it at the last minute! :shock:

Great job on the tank :wink: You are very talented :D

Nice work----watching this. Here's how that center stand looks on my Western Flyer---hopefully it will help you understand how you might mount yours. I love the stand it works like a dream!

1957WesternFlyer-WWTires.jpg

VonFink said:
Nice work----watching this. Here's how that center stand looks on my Western Flyer---hopefully it will help you understand how you might mount yours. I love the stand it works like a dream!

1957WesternFlyer-WWTires.jpg

Thanks Von Fink. That's a great looking Western Flyer too.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Great job on the tank :wink: You are very talented :D

Thank you, I check in on your build regularly and you are pretty sharp yourself.

I put the wheels and the chain back on it and took it out for a spin, :D
Nothing like a nice riding bike to lift your spirits.
ride2.jpg

ride1.jpg

More stuff still to come!

Re: Brown Sugar Test Ride Pics 6-17

COOL!...Looks like a KEEPER!

Re: Brown Sugar Test Ride Pics 6-17

Here's a couple of nearly complete final mock up pics. Once I get the tail light and it's battery squared away I'll be tearing it down for paint & finish.
rside616.jpg

lside616.jpg

Re: Brown Sugar Final Mock Up Pics 6-18

i like the look, real nice bike! 8)

Re: Brown Sugar Final Mock Up Pics 6-18

Dig the way it's looking! Is that a woodgrain decal on the chain guard? A deep orange with some wood grain paint scheme like a woody! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see your final pics!

Re: Brown Sugar Regress Pic 6-22

You know it's funny how sometimes we get into a bit of Made in China bashing when it comes to quality but to be totally honest back when all the cheap bikes were made in the good old U.S.A. They were still well cheap bikes of fairly cheap quality. I first realized this when I did a cad model of an old Huffy fork and found that it had very generous "tolerances." On this bike the cantilever tubes are brazed to slightly different heights on the front down tube causing a slightly bent or crooked appearance due to one tube being closer to the center than the other. I just didn't notice this until I was fitting a tank to it.Then the difference became noticeable fast.
crked.jpg

I toyed briefly with the thought of firing up the torch to melt off the brazing and re-welding it to match the other one, but quickly decided to try using my handy dandy all purpose frame straightening tool to re-contour the offending tube.
strater.jpg

That's close enuff for rock & roll!
The remaining difference at the front of the bike will be mostly hidden by the tank.
Ride On!

Smoopy's said:
lookin' like a really cool rider man..I like it.keep it up..really like that mini bike you got sitting behind it.. :wink:

That's a buddy's old Heathkit off roader with the golfcart size rear tire. I'm gonna put a Comet Torque-a-verter kit on it for his granddaughter to ride. Centrifugal clutches have an extra short life on that baby.

Thanks for the compliments too.

Have you noticed all of the big headlights around here? Sure they are really nice to see but they are starting to be as common as flat black paint and whitewall tires, not that there is anything wrong with stuff like that but sometimes you gotta go your own way.
So just to be different, and because I'm really a fan of smaller headlights, when I saw this little headlight posted in the for sale section by the Flying Dingo I immediately jumped on it. Heck I might even find a use for some of the rest of the stuff that came with it.
This is just a cool old French made generator headlight.
liteb4.jpg

I gathered up the supplies to do a battery powered LED conversion on it. Also shown are the parts for the tail light too.
lites1.jpg

After tearing apart the booklight to get the LED out of I soldered on some new leads.
hephand.jpg

Fitted a switch to the housing
fitswitch.jpg

At first I was a little hesitant to show you this next picture, so I decided to add a disclaimer; if you are not good, fast, and willing to wear decent eye protection, you should not solder anything directly to a battery. Even if you are good, fast, and wear safety glasses I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong if you overheat a battery with a soldering iron.
circuit.jpg

Hey it's not the brightest I've ever seen but I was able to use it as a flashlight to get back to the house. And the switch location is on the bottom so it's not that noticeable.
flitelit.jpg

frntliteback.jpg

Well I hope y'all liked the itty bitty headlight. I'll get to work on the tail light next.

Re: Brown Sugar LED headlight conversion 6-28-11

I like it dude!

Yeah, soldering directly to a battery is touchy stuff. You've inspired me to find where I hid my mechanical 'third hand', I've got some tricky soldering of my own to do soon.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Headlight will be cool! In an earlier post you mentioned your "handy dandy all purpose frame straightening tool" Workin on these old rusty bikes, that tool has become one of my favorite ones, right along with PB Blaster! :lol: 8)

Yea PB Blaster is great but not to common around here, I buy the gallon can of WD40 and mix it about 60/40 with ATF. That way I get the penetration and some actual oil for lube.

Gee, you would think with a long weekend I would have gotten more done on the bike, but first I went and picked up the raffle prize I won at the Tour De Fat.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42259&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
Then my oldest daughter stopped by to get her brakes & AC fixed on her car, then the shower faucet started leaking and on the way to Lowes, the brakes on the old lady's car started grinding so I wound up replacing them too! Even though I grouse about it, thank God that I have the ability and equipment to fix all of this stuff.
Did manage with the help of my lovely wife to knock the loose rust off of some parts and spray them with rust reformer
Hey look it's a ratrod clothesline!
ratrodclothesline.jpg

This is my final decision on the woodgrain...
sorrywoodgrainfans.jpg

I am still trying to stick to my original plans :wink:

and here's something else thrown in for good measure.
hedbadge.jpg

Latest posts

Back