brown sugar ---finished.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i was supposed to get some other bikes last weekend, but this showed up first, so i'll start on it first.
i bought this from fellow member rusty513...thanx again man.
it's a 24" rollfast. i'm guessing late 40s, but it could be early 50s. i'll keep lookin' that up.

i promice to have update and progress pix this time.
this aint gonna be anything extreme. just a mild and classy custom.
and it will be brown & tan.
000_0003-2.jpg

000_0001.jpg

Re: latest project "brown sugar"

lsat nite i blew it apart to see what i was workin' with. mostly to check out rusty parts and to make sure threads were good.
i wont be using these wheels/seat /bar. i just tossed some stuff on it to get an idea of where i'm headed.
000_0005-1.jpg

i guess i'm doin' this outta order, but work is kinda slow today.
i started to work on the tank(s). tappa, tappa, tappa.
000_0008.jpg

000_0010.jpg

000_0011-1.jpg

the seat post aint gonna work, so i poked thru my junk pile for one that's the same O/D but longer.
000_0001-1.jpg

i dont have a fancy chop saw. a $2.00 mitre box will work.
000_0003-3.jpg

rotate post pieces and a welders magnet is your friend.
000_0007-2.jpg

a little fine tuning w/ a bench grinder and belt sander. and bevel the edges for a bigger weld surface.
000_0005-2.jpg

welded it together and added some gussets for extra strength.
000_0001_0001.jpg

i'll get back to the tank(s) later.

i tried the modified post w/ a seat last nite and it will work just fine.

i've been thinkin' about using this motorcycle drag bar and dogbone risers, so i tried 'em on last nite also.
they do put me in a comfy riding position, but i dont think i'll use 'em. i think the 90* angles clash w/ smooth curves of the bike. i dunno. maybe it'll grow on me.
000_0002-1.jpg

got the frame+fork+tank(s) media blasted. i'll probably primer them tonite and paint the frame and fork tomarrow. than do some bodywork on the tank. there's a few dents.
still a bunch to do, but i hope to have the bike comlpete befor next weekend.
happy easter everyone!
000_0001-3.jpg

i like the way this build is going so far! i definately love the seat post but dont agree with the last set of bars you put on there with the dogbone risers. they look WAY outta place, like a turd in a punch bowl. but other than that....SWEET!

Easy E

thanx for the support guys.
chimi- the brown is gonna be a normal straight outta the box crayola brown. for the tan/brown color combo think of your grand-dads '71 oldsmobile :lol: . i used to have an el camino w/ that color combo and i loved it.
E- i aint using the dog bones. it didnt take long for me to decide that they were'nt rite.
i stayed after work and primered last nite. i came into work and painted and cleared it this morning. it's in the booth baking at 180* presently.
it turned out lookin' creamier than i thought. i dig it.
000_0004.jpg

You have access to a sweet paint booth?????????????????????????????????????????

I hate u :D

beatcad said:
thanx for the support guys.
chimi- the brown is gonna be a normal straight outta the box crayola brown. for the tan/brown color combo think of your grand-dads '71 oldsmobile :lol: . i used to have an el camino w/ that color combo and i loved it.
E- i aint using the dog bones. it didnt take long for me to decide that they were'nt rite.
i stayed after work and primered last nite. i came into work and painted and cleared it this morning. it's in the booth baking at 180* presently.
it turned out lookin' creamier than i thought. i dig it.
000_0004.jpg
oooo nice color! i know which color you are talking about. lol The way you described I knew right away what color. lol

ok. a little set back.
i spent a few hours tryin' to install the fork sat nite. i knew the threads on the steering stem were a little boogered, but i thought i got that resolved by changing the race and a crown to one that caught the threads higher. it seemed to work for mock up. i gave up.
i visited my folks and my wifes family sunday(easter) so no bike work.
i messed w/ it today for about 2 hours and discovered the problem..
the threads were almost gone, but the main problem was the bottom race had a ....-eyed groove in it.
good news is i called a pal of mine and he mite have another for me. 24" stuff is kinda hadr to come by.
other good news- befor i discovered it was the race and i thought it was just the threads i stopped by the local junk guy at lunch today.
he didnt have what i was lookin' for, but i did pick up a 26" columbia 3spd for 5 clams that i mite use as a platform for the next rrbbo :)

my buddy came by last nite and gave me a 70s? murray 24" cruiser. i yanked the fork out and discovered it was bent a little :cry: i brought it to work today and put it in the press and got it straight :wink:
now i need to take it to the LBS and get it threaded farther down and than cut it to the corrcet lenght.
than strip,sand,primer,paint...again :x
i'm a little father behind than i thought i'd be ,but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
sorry no pix. i'll take some soon.

yeah. that's the bike i got the fork from^^^^^^^^ a girls monterey, but it was blue.
i should have my fork back tomarrow and my wheels later today.
i cant do much now but wait. i still need to do the bodywork and paint the tank.
i talked to a guy who does striping and he'll letter the tank next week.
000_0009-2.jpg

dang the luck. i just had another set back.
i just found out my wheels are on back order.
my original plan was to dis-assemble the original wheels and paint the rims to match the tank, clean up the hubs, and replace all the spokes and nipples. well, when i was looking up parts i found out i could get a brand new pair of wheels for about the same price as 56 spokes & nipples thru my bike supplier(w/ my good guy discount of course :wink: ).
now maybe i'll go back to plan A and dis-assemble the wheels and see how ruff the rims are.
hopefully i'll get my fork bcak from the LBS tomarrow afternoon, so i have SOMETHING to work on tomarrow nite.

Latest posts

Back