Bmx Single Speed Freewheel Cutaway

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Does anyone have the cutaway view of a single speed bmx type freewheel? I would really like to know what the guts look like.

check the park tool site, theyhave a how to that shows one apart. like they said, lots of little balls inside that are magnetically attracted to the darkest, dirtiest, most hard to get to corner of your shop! :x get a magnet before you begin, and dont even think about doing it outside! :wink:

It's pretty much the same as a mutli-speed. You unthread the little retainer (clockwise), pull a few shims, and walla! All the 1/8" bearings run for their life across your bench! If you're lucky, the 3-4 pawls that are in there (held in by nice, tiny little springs, will jump out and flee too! :mrgreen:

I have pulled them apart before to make spinner necklaces with freewheels. It's a pain to get them back together though.

my daughters freestyle was too hard for her to pedal uphill, so i swapped her freewheel for one i had(forget the tooth count on them). had to take em both apart to remove from the wheels, then put back together. ive rode them both after the swap, no problems. takes patience but its not too hard. i did it mainly to see if i could, they are cheap enough that if it doesnt work, oh well.

Latest posts

Back