Bike ID Help...I think it's a CWC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See reply below for pictures

A02728 AC with a "w" inside the C
DadsBike.jpeg

This was my fathers bike when he bought as a teenager in the 50's. I though I would try to restore it but I have never done anything like this before.

I think it may be a Cleveland Welding Co. Frame and by what I can find in pictures maybe a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne.
I am looking for an identity so I can get a badge for it and a tank, I would like to have am much original as possible.

Last edited:
A02728 AC with a "w" inside the C
sprocket.jpg~c200

8f5ff6c0-2ec0-4be5-b4b9-72855023331a.jpg

BikeNumber.jpg

This was my fathers bike when he bought as a teenager in the 50's. I though I would try to restore it but I have never done anything like this before.

I think it may be a Cleveland Welding Co. Frame and by what I can find in pictures maybe a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne.
I am looking for an identity so I can get a badge for it and a tank, I would like to have am much original as possible.

Last edited:
Looks like a CWC Road Master but they were not all badged that way. I have this one that has a Royal Master head badge.

Definitely a CWC bike, it may have been badged as a Hawthorne. It looks like a Roadmaster head badge in the picture. If memory serves, that serial number denotes 1950 or 1951.

What else can I look for or post pictures of to identify the brand so I can get correct badge and tank?

A picture of the front chainring might give a clue. As well as any outline the badge may have left behind.

The chainring is one of the three on the post above. I do not notice a badge outline. The original paint was spray painted over and I sanded the spray paint down but do not see a mark where badge was.

Welcome to RRB.

Yes, the bike in the first picture is a CWC. It's difficult to tell from the photo of a photo, but it does appear to have a Road Master badge.

When looking for a tank, notice that it is flat across the bottom matching the straight bar on the frame. Also, it is smooth without any embossing. The trailing ends of the tank are sort of squared off and overlap the seat tube.

Here's a bike with the same tank. It has several wrong parts, but the tank is correct.

It would help if you could post a current picture of the bike. Good luck, that's a great bike!

If you want the frame to look like new, paint stripper will take it down to metal with minimal sanding. Bead blasting will get it ready to prime instantly. As far as the badge and parts go, the first pic looks like a Roadmaster badge. However the chainring, I believe, is Western Flyer" lazy hearts". The roadmaster chainring has a paisley design. I like the Roadmaster badges of that era better. Both bikes pretty much shared the same sheet metal parts.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have some work to do on this so I'm certain I will be asking more questions.

Latest posts

Back