Bike Gurus, Assemble!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for assembling.

Yesterday I picked up a bike that I don't know anything about and cant find any information on. It's a Schwinn Excelsior, the head tube emblem reads "Schwinn Excelsior Built". I'm not sure what this bike is supposed to have or not supposed to have, for that matter. What can be said about this piece? The # is 048611. Is there a market for this bike or its parts? I'm debating on a restore or a part out.

7221947546_f163a78417_z.jpg

7221906846_bb76f2c4ab_z.jpg

7222033010_59ef40f584_z.jpg

While waiting for the gurus, I found a clue!.. Well actually I found a dead match. It's a Panther and I'm almost positive its the exact same one as pictured. The only thing that I can tell right now that doesn't match up is that "brace" between the frame posts.

1952SchwinnPanther010.jpg

If you went the restoration route, you would find yourself upside down if it came time to sell it. On the other hand you could resto-mod it much cheaper, or just polish up what you've got and run it. I have a set of schwinn fenders on ebay right now that might work, they came off a no springer bike (it had truss rods): http://www.ebay.com/itm/230790253077?ss ... 1555.l2649

I have the seat off this bike too
Link:http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56954

Right on, I think I'm going to attempt welding my king size steer tube to the springer and use it on my American and part the rest.

Justin Sane said:
Right on, I think I'm going to attempt welding my king size steer tube to the springer and use it on my American and part the rest.

Won't work. You would also have to lengthen the springer legs from the center pivot to the top where it meets the yoke.

If you part it, you should be able to get $100 for the springer, $50 for the guard, $75 for the boys B1 seat, and something for that nice Phantom style neck. Gary

Won't work. You would also have to lengthen the springer legs from the center pivot to the top where it meets the yoke.

If you part it, you should be able to get $100 for the springer, $50 for the guard, $75 for the boys B1 seat, and something for that nice Phantom style neck. Gary

Thanks for the insight! I would've kicked myself for chopping without realizing what I was getting into! I think I'll go the route of parting it out, for that matter. Any bids on parts? PM me.

We have to give a price when we sell stuff here, but I agree it's tough to figure out what things should go for on these old bikes. You can go through the for sale section here and see what others have asked for springers, and parts, etc, to get an idea of what it should be.

I've been thinking about your King Size and a springer. I think if you found the right pre-war Schwinn girls springer it would fit right on there with no modifications. I think it would be off of a '38-'40 girls bike. All you need to do is buy a springer that came off of a pre war Schwinn girls bike that has the same head tube length as yours. Since they won't go on any boys frames (besides yours) you should be able to pick one up for a decent price. Gary

Latest posts

Back