Best Trailer you have actually hauled or seen hauled by a bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of trailers on back of bikes. Unrealistic ones. But I am in process of using one that was a kid hauler all aluminum but I think I am going for six feet six long. Very light. Under 125 lbs total with trailer and load.
Where is the best place to put your hitch? Axle. Above axle, Seat Post.
Do you have any photos of something that is actually used. I know there are cool ones out there that function well.

Oh man, now I wish I would have taken a picture of a cool one I saw this weekend. Formerly a two-kid trailer, they built it up out of wood to make it look like the back of a woody truck bed, hauled behind a bike. It was very well done.

20"wheels and aluminum parts from a kid trailer , everything is basically built around the plastic box , just reinforcements bolted straight to it , with a 1/4" wood floor inside... pretty light , narrow ,very low center of gravity and water proof when i unroll the plastic and strap it over , i hauled about 75lbs of bike parts once without any issues
DSCN5139_zpsa30a6c6b.jpg

DSCN5138_zps37add535.jpg

DSCN5140_zpsaa206dc2.jpg

i think iam gona upgrade it today , make it lighter and put some camber in the wheels so it handle even better at speeds

Custom build done for a street vendor in Miami Fl. The bike started life as an HBBC SkullXBones. It was stripped and custom painted, along with the Wheels and Hubs. Built back up with the springer and ape hangers. Trailer is completely custom, built by American Vintage Camper in Marysville, Ohio Trailer is actually for carrying donuts at street fairs closed to auto traffic.

11753672_814934808613920_764424097183357463_n.jpg

I made this from a typical kids buggy. had to modify the axle for more height but otherwise was pretty straight forward. All western red cedar. nothing too fancy, it was for a trade deal..

These are my trailers:

This one I built myself:
file.php

Same trailer different bike:
file.php

Other bike and (bought) trailer:
file.php

And for shopping or hauling heavy stuff I use a earlier red version of this one:
vitelli-campinganhanger-schwarz.jpg

it comes with a fitting bag for luggage an is very easy and fast to dissasemble. If taken apart it takes less room than a standard suitcase.

I haul my daughter on an Adams trail a bike. I love it more than any other bike accessory ever. One of my favorite things is the mounting point. There is a collar that slides onto the seat post, and the trailer attaches there with a coupler that pivots only on two planes. I credit this with the wonderful way the trailer tows. Shes is about 50#, the bike 20# or so, and the whole thing feels weightless behind me.

Those are some great trailers! Here's the lamest:

11755829_10153143391328191_8612442185715877368_n.jpg

Wow, didn't expect that response (though, maybe I should've from "Rat Rod" guys). Thanks for the compliments!

It's just a scrap 2x4 strapped to the rack with a slot in the end for the ratchet strap hook to drop through. It's rigged so the handle sits on the hook with the end of the hook sitting between the handle's cords to lock it in, then the strap is ratcheted tight and the hook pulls up into the slot, preventing the handle from coming off the hook (though, it could break). The roads are a little busy to actually use it and I'd never use it for my wood kayaks, but it seemed pretty sturdy when I rode it around the block. If the kayak cart weren't made to collapse and fit into the storage compartments, I'd add a boom to it and use that to tow to keep the alignment better and not have to rely on the kayak's handle. A solid joint would be better, but more complicated to accommodate the ranges of movement and not break and a thick(er) cord would do the same job real simply with only the shifting of the weight during braking being an issue (which would be minimized by keeping the cord as short as practical).

That Kayak trailer is cool. I have a spare frame out of a trailer I ripped the cloth cover off of, been thinking of doing either a sidecar or a Kayak/Canoe hauler.

The sidecar idea is cool, but I think less practical than a trailer on the bikepaths.

The Kayak trailer lets me go out paddling myself with the ability to bike back, combining my 2 favorite sport activities. Easiest way would be to just cut and extend out the attachment arm, right?

Do you meant the same kind of trailer as the one you have above (which is awesome and could probably haul a weeks' groceries for me)? I imagine that would be fine as long as you get the balance right and it can handle the dynamic weight under way. Were I to be serious about my rig, I'd figure out something unobtrusive to put on the kayak that would allow consistent mounting of the cart and so that it wouldn't shift over bumps and such then I'd reinforce the bow handle area and use a thicker cord or just use a boom and a similar cord joint off the cart. The issue with the latter is making it collapsible and strong enough and out of something that won't rust with salt water exposure (the hitch pins I use for the cart frame I consider to be consumables). I also like the simplicity of using the kayak itself as part of its own trailer. I'd also come up with something to clean up the 2x4 and its mounting to look less "eccentric alcoholic", but that's not important.

Trailers are awesome no matter what because you are not using a car. Personally I don't have a trailer, but I built a cargo bike to carry my kids and any cargo I need. So far 250 pounds is the most cargo I have carried.
Very nice!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back