Bareknuckle Brawler - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bareknuckle Brawler (problem and solution)

herr_rudolf said:
The two stems on your build do fit the name you chose very well. They look like knuckles the way they're (gonna be) mounted...
8)

Good eye herr_rudolf, that what I'm aiming for. Guess what colour/finish they're gonna be :wink: .

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler (problem and solution)

herr_rudolf said:
If I think 'speed', these knuckle just have to be white! 8)
Or... if you're getting overboard with the name/theme: a fleshy color with blood-red bolts... :wink:

I think I like em the way they are by the way... Gunmetal grey?

I'm not getting too wrapped up with a theme..........more of a name really. Just want a tough looking, bare metal bike that I can ride. At this stage, the stems will be bare alloy.........but anything can happen!

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Update & Pics

I found a matching stem adapter, just have to cut the fork tubes down and find a pair of stems. Also did a quick mock-up. I want to drop the front end a tad, and get the seat lower (maybe I'll have to join the cut down seat tube crew). I've got a couple of ideas for seat mounting.

I made a buck out of piece of hardwood I found in a scrap bin at work. I'm going to hand form a metal tank for this build and will do a bit of a how-to along the way. I still have to round off the corners on the buck and shape it a bit more. If I was making more than one tank, I'd make a pair (one for each side), but I'll just make the one for this build and flip it for the other side of the tank.

DSCF1410-1.jpg

DSCF1409-1.jpg

Start of the buck
DSCF1413-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Start of tank

I'm a Coppersmith by trade, but have not really done any coppersmithing since 1995, so I figure it's time to test the skills.

I made a cardboard template of the space and made it around 1/8" smaller (to allow for the metal thickness when it's folded. I then cut out a hardwood blank, which is called a buck, and sanded the corners to a radius. I'm going to use the one buck for both halves of the tank.

Cut the sheet copper larger than than the buck. How wide you want the tank will determine how much bigger to cut the sheetmetal.
DSCF1418-1.jpg

Notch out the corners so they will meet up when folded.
DSCF1419-1.jpg

The copper has to formed to the curves of the buck, so it's better anneal it. I used oxy-acetylene, but it can be done easily with a propane torch. Heat the copper to dull red then quench it in water.
DSCF1422-1.jpg

DSCF1424-1.jpg

Clamp the copper to the buck leaving an even amount of the excess material all the way around and secure in a vice.
DSCF1425-1.jpg

Pin (fold over the excess) in a few places to stop the copper from moving around, then remove the clamps for easier access. I used a nylon dresser, but a wooden mallet would be fine.
DSCF1426-1.jpg

Fold over the excess material until it's flush with the sides of the buck, them remove from the buck.
DSCF1427-1.jpg

DSCF1428-1-1.jpg

DSCF1429-1.jpg

One half of the tank is now formed. Next will be to make the other half, then trimming some material so both halves fit together well and joining together. I will probably use phos-copper brazing rod.

More to come later.

I'm curious, are you planning to strengthen the flat area in any way? Those radiuses (radii?) are nice and clean!

When you are done making that tank, can I hold it for just like a minute? :mrgreen:

Looks great!

Rockit! said:
I'm curious, are you planning to strengthen the flat area in any way? Those radiuses (radii?) are nice and clean!

I still have quite a bit of peening to do on the flat area, so it will work harden and be pretty solid.

bean said:
I still have quite a bit of peening to do on the flat area, so it will work harden and be pretty solid.

I had a feeling you would say something like that! :mrgreen: Can't wait!

Fisch said:
Love the buck forming on the tank! This is gonna be a contender for sure!

Thanks Fisch. Not sure about being a contender though........I don't think I'll be able to top last year's 10th place effort, but I'm not building this bike to try and place highly.
This will be the bike I've been wanting to build for a long time, and I'm really using the build-off as motivation to get it done.

I decided I didn't like the flat side of the the first tank half I built, and built another. I had to make another buck which was slightly bigger to allow for the shaping. The process was the same as the previous one, but this time I did some peening/stippling with a ball peen hammer to give it a bit more shape. I'm liking this version much more than the first. There's still a bit of peening and finishing to do before I'll be happy with it though. I'm going to leave the peened look, it hides a multitude of sins :wink: .

DSCF1444-1.jpg

Some other parts. I picked the cranks from a bargain bin at a bike shop and pulled the TruVativ BMX to Euro crank adaptor from a bike I don't ride.

DSCF1439-1.jpg

DSCF1442-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back