Bad for Business

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So this build is about taking an unassuming '68 24" Coppertone Schwinn Typhoon and making it into something really interesting. The approach is a 24/26 klunker. I've always liked the MX look of a smaller rear wheel. It just seems like it lends itself to an aggressive, off road, old school look. Parts for this build include 1968 Schwinn Typhoon 24" frame, 24" chrome S2 rear wheel with 76 Bendix Coaster, 26" double knurled chrome front rim, CST Knobbies front and rear, Ashtabula stamped 180 mm crank with 36t Lucky 7 sprocket, Persons saddle, laid back 13/16 solid post, Ashtabula stem, black longhorn bars, chrome Schwinn cruiser forks cut and threaded to 24" Typhoon head tube, removed kickstand replaced with chrome cap, and original bottom bracket, headset, and seat clamp.

Here we go...

Looking good!

The radius of a 26" wheel is only one inch more than a 24" wheel. Will the 26" fit the 24" fork?
I'll bet the coppertone really stands out with a couple coats of paste wax.

Only thing I worry about is slacking out the headtube angle with the taller fork and wheel. It will be stable at speed and on the steeps, but climbing will be a little more awkward, hard to keep it straight. Looking good though, sweet cranks!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Honestly doesnt look too slack, thought it would be a little more choppered out. Looks fun!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back