Atkins Safari and something called a King Sting?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
:mrgreen:

Enjoy...

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

TheFlyingDingo said:
MAN I miss my roof rack!

That king sting looks IMMACULATE!

Yeah, I absolutely LOVE my roof rack, I wish Overstock hadn't sold out of them, both bike mounts for under $60 shipped, and they are keyed the same.

The Sting is clean, wasn't ridden hard at all from the looks of it, and the guy I got it from didn't clean it at all. :shock:

tin machine said:
awesome , I have never seen a king sting , only pictures I heard they were worth alot of money ? cool bikes both :mrgreen:

This is the first one I've seen, and I've heard they are worth a lot of money too. I ended up giving $200 for it ($35 for the Atkins bike), I'm not keeping it, but I'm only making enough money off of it to cover my trip (about 200 miles round) and time.

There is an "82" in the serial number on the head tube, so I would believe that makes this a 1982.

What are the tiny numbers about that are stamped into the head badge? I need to look at my other Schwinn Chicago bikes to see if they are stamped too.

I took the bike to Walmart to try to return it, but I didn't have a receipt, oh well. I took it to the harvested cotton field to explain how good things that start in the USA are eventually sent to China then brought back to us with slightly decreased quality... :wink:

pkh1974 said:
Nice finds. Pm sent on king sting.

Thanks for the advice, just to help everyone rest easier, this bike will not be parted out, it will be kept together and probably will find new replacement parts for the seat and other non original parts. It will be in the possession of a Schwinn BMX enthusiast.

I got on the Atkins Safari to see how the generator light works, was having issues so looked back at the generator at full stride looked back up and saw a curb and bailed, bailing saved the bike, but not my pride. haha

I crashed a "vintage" bike.

You should have pulled a Pee Wee , "I meant to do that".

yoothgeye said:
I got on the Atkins Safari to see how the generator light works, was having issues so looked back at the generator at full stride looked back up and saw a curb and bailed, bailing saved the bike, but not my pride. haha

I crashed a "vintage" bike.

MBblue6 said:
I didn't know you could find those type of bikes at walmart :lol: The king sting is a 1980 by the way. Nice finds. Matt

Do you know this from the serial number on the headtube or the stamping on the headbadge? The King Sting was made from 1980 to 1982.

Whitfield said:
Sweet :D 8) :D What year is the Atkins? It is a cool find.

Haven't discovered yet, not much out there in a search for an Atkins Safari, we are just guessing it's Murray made.

occupying the Living Room... Wifey is laying down demands that the bike leave by 4pm or else. I'm thinking that or Else means I get a garge.

Head set and Bottom bracket were crunchy with grease that resembled concrete. While most of the bke is in very good condition there were lots of things to cllean and polish.

P1010530.jpg

Man...the lust factor on that King Sting is high. :shock:

Love seeing it on the roof rack like that...just wish it was my car underneath it. :lol:

Q?

Are these chicago schwinns painted with laquor? I've used a mild polish and wax but the finish still lacks luster. Temped to try more but don't want to damage the soft paint. man this finish is soft....

I know the later 20" ones have a much better paint. I also believe I read that the 20" waranty (replacment) frames were the only 20" offered in black.

The Oury's made my wish list for Sant... But i like Pork Chops checker board yellow thumb knuckle black rings. I need some of his bar end plugs for the MTB ~ still ay too much crashing for a set of grips to survive.

Latest posts

Back