Alco Villager "3" Complete makeover!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT 6/26/2018: I had to reattach all of the photos, so chances are there are additional images compared to the original post.

This is a build my Dad did over the last few weeks, he is not a member here or any forum... I knew he had purchased a rusty old trike but didn't realize what he had in store for it until after several pieces were built, so in the beginning there are only a limited amount of photos. Please forgive the watermarks, I wanted to make sure he retained credit for the build where ever the pictures may turn up.

Before photos:
i-56T8Xx7-S.jpg
i-GSn6JSB-S.jpg

and it begins...
i-7XBtf2h-S.jpg
i-ncznGfP-S.jpg

Square tubing was used to make the seat easily adjustable for all size riders, the seat even tilts. Everything you see welded is stainless, which will remain unpainted, all nuts and bolts are also stainless. The seat was formed with an english wheel and a bead roller. (both he also made)
i-FMmPQmt-M.jpg
i-2KcVsmZ-M.jpg

First mock up with jack stands holding the weight, this allowed him to check length while sitting on it.
i-nmjV74v-L.jpg

i-rCq7LBz-L.jpg

The bottom bracket was tacked, then later adjusted for a tight chain. He also made the disc brake adapters.
i-rBWPxMG-M.jpg
i-F9TvMhD-M.jpg

Both rear wheels are now powered, freewheels are on each side, 3 speed hub modified.
i-xHdzJ4V-M.jpg

Rear needed more bracing on the weak point, still designed to unbolt. Solid piece of aluminum shaped to match the shifter.
i-pFBhfjt-M.jpg

i-9xLXfff-M.jpg
i-kJ3wZkk-S.jpg

i-56PRFnx-M.jpg

Cable brackets shown underneath.
i-M6xwVCr-L.jpg

Chain guard is a stainless boat railing.
i-q224WKc-M.jpg

Thick aluminum brake mounts and rear deck base complete.
i-DjsP6cD-M.jpg

i-3N98zB5-L.jpg

Primed, sanded and ready for paint. Filler primer, IMRON Elite SS polyurethane paint.
i-nJz6xz3-M.jpg

i-GQtzMVM-M.jpg

i-bx2pg8L-L.jpg
i-Z2sdhWs-L.jpg

i-7FvQfnJ-M.jpg

i-jtvpfJZ-L.jpg
i-G7pbDCs-L.jpg

i-H8nfNWR-M.jpg

i-D3FrK9H-S.jpg
i-x6mrWKx-S.jpg

i-CsSdBsc-S.jpg
i-Fn34q95-S.jpg

i-KHHpkDw-L.jpg

He also made the seat cover and hand grips.
i-L3KkwFb-L.jpg
i-75FrM9K-L.jpg

Stainless cable guides, brake mounts polished.
i-Fsn2sr7-L.jpg
i-q2dzmtK-L.jpg

My brother Chris trying it on..... it fits. :D
i-WCLmQBs-L.jpg

The mirrors come in pairs at some Walmarts, the mirror itself it adjustable separate from the housing.
i-hmtXHXP-L.jpg

i-dhqjkN7-L.jpg
i-34ntqwd-L.jpg
i-BP7J7Cp-L.jpg

Stainless and oak crate with tailgate.
i-8NZrPVZ-L.jpg

i-rjw5BH5-M.jpg
i-tXMf7zK-M.jpg

Clear Lexan over the chain drive.
i-3NnmMZz-M.jpg
i-zJ23FMc-M.jpg

It is now complete!
i-6NcXH8W-M.jpg

Troy

Last edited:
This is the kind of attention to detail that I could stare at for an hour. The chain guard alone would make my 'top 10 coolest ever' list. Good job getting perfect tension on all three chains. Your father is an old world craftsman.

The seat adjustment is so simple, it's genius. Your dad better be making money from this, would be a waste for more people not to enjoy his builds.

Thank You!

Jason B said:
The seat adjustment is so simple, it's genius. Your dad better be making money from this, would be a waste for more people not to enjoy his builds.
He's retired, built it for himself to ride while vacationing over the winter. First bike he's built since my bmx race bike in the early 80's. He used to build streetrods.

That came out real nice, hows the frame, is there any flex in it being a single down tube and all?

Carbon said:
That came out real nice, hows the frame, is there any flex in it being a single down tube and all?
No real flex, it has the stainless bar bridge across the bottom which took care of the majority. The weak point was where the rear bolts to the frame, extra bracing was put there too.

Dad built it himself using an English Wheel and a Bead Roller. I believe he said most of the time was spent forming the seat, which is designed with lumbar support built in.

Envision said:
It is now complete! Updated in the first post.

Clear Lexan over the chain drive.
i-zJ23FMc-L.jpg
Nice touch ! you really did awesome on this rebuild
and your dad rocks, nice seat!

Latest posts

Back