Ross Super Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently acquired a Ross Super deluxe from a friend. It was stored in his basement for at least 10 years and before that who knows! I received it in rough shape, years of neglect had it looking fairly beat, but it was complete! A true "Barn Find", I was told some antiquers from the had found it while cleaning out a old mill building in the southern NH area. A co-worker inquired them about it as it was atop a pile of junk in the back of a pickup and they gave it to him, he hadn't touched it for 10 years and knowing I am into vintage bikes, gave it to me. A month later it is completely overhauled and rideable! I have about 14 hours worth of cleaning alone in this bicycle, and my GF cleaned and clear coated the tank, guard, and rack to preserve some of the patina. It is a gift to my girl to celebrate 5 years together :) Enough of the talking, here are many pics!

I still need to install fresh batteries and test out the lights and horn, and could keep cleaning to make it really shine! I am in love with the rack on this thing, looks like an old metal rake! I was completely surprised to see it cleaned up so well, thought it was rusted out, but it was just really dirty! Let me know what y'all think!

That's a gorgeous bike! Ross serial numbers start with an "R" and the year is the next digits, if you can find the number. It looks like early 60's.

Great job getting that bike cleaned up!! That is probably the "put your eye out with it" lawsuit rack on the back!!:bigsmile:

Thanks! I will check on the year, did not know about the coding for the serial number. I was thinking early 60s as well. Here is a shot of it next to my resto-modded flightliner, hers looks so much better than mine!

Lots of cleaning! It was in great shape under a layer of crust! I used simple green diluted with water and a brass bristled brush to remove it, just a simple rag wasn't sufficient, and it was quite time consuming. Years of storage wherever it was coated the bike with a greenish crusty coating that almost preserved everything underneath. I was gentle with the scrubbing, yet diligent enough to remove everything. There are some areas on the rear fender and rear rim that didnt quite fare so well, but its all original, so I do not want to replace anything. I am planning on pulling the tank/guard/and rack, then going at the chrome with some polish and a buffing wheel to make it really shine!

Back