70's Huffy into 30's Streamliner - Tentative name 'Aerith'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build that I'm posting here.

I started with a 70's Huffy frame last year, and have been collecting ideas and parts since then.
Now that I'm making some real progress it's time to post some photos.

My original design was hatched after lusting after an Electra Indy 3, In retrospect it would
have been cheaper and quicker to just buy one,but I don't regret the money or the time spent
at all, especially as this bike should be something that truly is an expression of my dreams.

I really want a beautiful old 30's bike; realistically it's not practical for a number of reasons,
not least of which is the cost. There are other issues, such as the need for multiple speeds
and strong front brakes since I commute to work in a hilly area. My bikes have to work for a
living.

My current bikes are an Electra Delivery 3 and a 90's Murray from Goodwill that I have
modified from a mountain bike into a Cruiser/Commuter (Cru-muter)

So, here are some pictures...

The frame, after sandblasting and the first coats of Rustoleum Antique White

fraimpain1.jpg

Fenders are Nirve street sweepers with a little something extra, Wrap-Around 2 piece front
and rear.

mockup2.jpg

fenderpaint1.jpg

A quick mockup from last year prior to stripping the frame

mockup1.jpg

This bike is going to get a homemade tank, not sure just how I'll do it yet, maybe
fiberglass. The portholes are from an old Bogen PA head

porthole1.jpg

I was digging the shiny Monark someone did last year with a microphone for a tail light,
and several months later realized I had some busted old microphones in a box. I'm going
to do it one better, microphone taillight AND headlight (Elvis!!! :wink: )
They will get some high power LED innards of my own construction

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

headlight1.jpg

I've separated a chainring from a girl's ten-speed, (sorry girl) and am painting the assembly
red with a white cover, only the inner 38 tooth ring will be used. This works well with
the Nexus 3 speed for climbing moderate hills.

chainringorig.jpg

chainringpaint.jpg

The chainguard is NOS, but was really short, must have been for a kids bike. No matter,
because I was planning on chopping it anyway.

guard1.jpg

guardcut3.jpg

guardcut1.jpg

guardcut2.jpg

guardcutpaint.jpg

I had to cut the fenders to make them fit too. Love my Dremel!

fenderfit.jpg

A few goodies for the bike

seatpedals.jpg

That's all for now. This is a really great site!

Holy cow, That's gonna be one mean-looking two-wheeled machine. Love those wraparound fenders. Makes me want to do the same. And you've sold me on the Dremel, btw. I've been putting off buying one for weeks now. Payday this Friday; New Dremel Friday afternoon.

A little further along

The crank assembly is all painted now; I had to make a spacer to make the
chainring assembly work with the crank I wanted to use

crankpieces.jpg

crankdone.jpg

The chain guard has been modified to fit flush up against the chain ring. I also used my
Dremel tool to cut out the arc in the chain guard.

guardcutpaint.jpg

The front wheel is now finished; I had a Sturmey Archer X-FD drum brake installed.
The rims are Electra parts.

drum.jpg

I'm now wet sanding the frame in preparation for the final coat of paint, then I will start
on the headlight and tail light assemblies while I wait for the paint to harden.

I've made some progress now that the basic frame/fender painting is finished.

Along the way I learned how to properly wet sand and polish.

I practiced on this first, which is the 'other' build that's been sucking up my time
this summer... fretless guitar with stereo (bass/treble split) pickups.

polishpractice.jpg

Now on to the frame: Sanded with 1500 and then 2000 grit sandpaper, then Meguiars
Ultra Cut and Ultra Finishing compounds followed by Mequiars 3 step polishes; no wax yet.
Paint is Rustoleum spray cans, painting was done in the parking lot at work during my lunch
breaks over a couple of months.

shinyfram.jpg

Here's a look at the chainguard with striping in progress, not polished yet

guardstripes1.jpg

And a look at some of the painted parts all together

mockup1-1.jpg

I've been working on the fender stripes this past week

fenderlines2.jpg

I decided to add black around the darts; looks more 'Deluxe' I think.
The bike is being called an Aerith Red Line Deluxe, BTW.

fenderlines1.jpg

I picked up a trigger horn. I really wanted one for this bike.

horn.jpg

There were some rattles, so I opened it up to see the inside. Broken return spring,
and the insides look like something you would see on the USS Monitor - RUSTY
Paint is not original, so it's getting de-rusted and painted to match the bike.

innards.jpg

The Diaphragm

diaprhagm.jpg

I expected the inside would look like a mechanical oogah horn; I didn't expect to see the
extra gear which is there to speed up the action/raise the pitch a little.

Honestly, someone could build one of these out of a tin can, a bolt, a spring and a couple of old gears.
I might just make one just for giggles after the bike is finished.

Here's a closer look at my headlight, a Shure Brothers S55. Don't worry, it was roached
and not worth repairing.

s55light1.jpg

s55lightfront.jpg

s55open.jpg

Lastly, here are my handlebar end lights. I will be using just the lenses and making
some high power LED innards. They will flash in unison with the headlight and taillight.

dialcobullet.jpg

Once my fenders are finished I will start assembling the bike.

I still have to make the tank, and cast a housing for the tailight as well as fabricate
the entire lighting system. I'm also planning on making curved tubular fender braces
(ala Shelby) if I can manage to pull it off.

I've started refurbishing the skirt guards I want to use;
I think I can make them work with this frame. They will
be painted to match the frame.

Here's a picture of a test fitting. The other side will be more tricky; I
may have to modify the skirt guard a little. I suppose I will paint the
frame behind the guard flat black.

skirttest.jpg

I'm waiting for the rain to stop before finishing the striping on the other fender; hopefully
it will stop sometime before next July :roll:
I'm thinking about adding a thinner gold pinstripe next to each red stripe on the fenders.
Do you think I should quit while I'm still ahead or go ahead and gild the lily? Not really sure
how good it will look.

This is Awesome! I really like the chain guard and lights and the "Skipton'd" fenders!

Here are some crude photoshop simulations of different skirtguard color schemes.

skirttestwhite.jpg

skirttestwhitered.jpg

skirttestcopyred.jpg

I'm sort of leaning towards the last color combo, it looks kind of dangerous :shock:
Might look better with the red wheels too.

I love what you´re doing man, nice ideas, well executed, beautiful bike. Cant wait to see more.

Looking great!

This thing is sick so far! Please if you build a horn from home materials post a how-to on here, I would love to know how to make one.

Here are a few updates. Lots of small details to work out.
This is how I like to do rubber trim.

rubbertrim2.jpg

Basically you just take some electrical cable, vinyl hose etc and slit it lengthwise - instant
trim!

rubbertrim1.jpg

rubbertrimframe.jpg

I had some surface prep to do on the skirts; I love this glazing putty. When primer
is not enough and bondo is too much, glazing putty is just right. I had a bit of rust
through, so I filled it in with PC7 epoxy.

skirtrepair1.jpg

skirtrepair2.jpg

I'm experimenting with lettering in Photoshop; I'll do something like this on the chain guard -
but black letters with gold outlines, and red lines in the spaces between the words.

textguardtest.jpg

Lastly I'm experimenting with some extra gold pinstriping on the fenders. I don't know if
I like it or not, so I'm going to sleep on it. I'll be painting the undersides of the fenders
flat black.

gilded2.jpg

gilded.jpg

freshair1.jpg

Latest posts

Back