66' TYPHOON - DETAIL COMPLETE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I was at this estate sale today...

Just kidding. :lol:

Actually, forum member todzilla is determined to drain my bank account. This is the second time he's posted a cool old Schwinn on the local CL right before my lunch break on a sunny Friday afternoon.

He recently picked this up from a co-worker who bought it 30 years ago to ride at his job location. Apparently it wasn't long after he bought the bike that the company changed the rules and wouldn't let them ride at work anymore so it sat in his garage all of this time.

If you think you see rust...it's just that greasy garage dirt that build up on bikes down here in Texas. :mrgreen:

Magic water treatment coming up! :lol:

IMG_2147.jpg

Just one small dent on the top of the rear fender...

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Re: 66' TYPHOON - 2 SPD

that looks just like mines but i have navy blue fenders on mine rear and a basket and my wheels are white .. nice rider here mines is a single speed :(

Wow...almost MINT! :shock: Glad to see you picking up these oldies again :wink:

66' TYPHOON - 2 SPD

My dad still has his 66 Typhoon (purple, of all colors) with all the original parts. He's recently peaked an interest in cleaning it up, so maybe my next project will be that. This one looks excellent!

Saverio said:
My dad still has his 66 Typhoon (purple, of all colors) with all the original parts. He's recently peaked an interest in cleaning it up, so maybe my next project will be that. This one looks excellent!

That is cool that your dad still has his typhoon. If it is Violet I would love to see pics fof it as I have only seen one other violet one and that color never showed in catalogs. Thanks, Matt

66' TYPHOON - 2 SPD

MBblue6 said:
That is cool that your dad still has his typhoon. If it is Violet I would love to see pics fof it as I have only seen one other violet one and that color never showed in catalogs. Thanks, Matt

Hey Matt,
Good to meet you.
Yes, it's violet. I'm headed over there tomorrow so I'll get some photos of it. I was kind of surprised it has chrome fenders instead of matching violet like the frame.

Everyone needs a mint red 2-speed Typhoon. I've got mine! It's a '70, last year for kickbacks. Gary
DSC04184.jpg

Rat Rod said:
I was at this estate sale today...

Just kidding. :lol:

Actually, forum member todzilla is determined to drain my bank account. This is the second time he's posted a cool old Schwinn on the local CL right before my lunch break on a sunny Friday afternoon.

He recently picked this up from a co-worker who bought it 30 years ago to ride at his job location. Apparently it wasn't long after he bought the bike that the company changed the rules and wouldn't let them ride at work anymore so it sat in his garage all of this time.

If you think you see rust...it's just that greasy garage dirt that build up on bikes down here in Texas. :mrgreen:

Magic water treatment coming up! :lol:

Sweetness..............

Agreed, a 2 speed Typhoon should be in everyone's garage, and be ready to ride. Yours is probably original down to the tires.

my 80:

r1ihlf.jpg

66' TYPHOON - 2 SPD

MBblue6 said:
Saverio said:

here ya go...
4b475175-469d-8a3a.jpg
4b475175-46a9-08cc.jpg
4b475175-46b4-869d.jpg
4b475175-46c3-0414.jpg
4b475175-46d4-c6f0.jpg
4b475175-46e1-55d9.jpg

He hasn't touched anything on it since 1966. Lol! He still rides it though. Even the tires are original.
4b475175-474c-9f88.jpg

I know you laughed about the color...but violet and coppertone Schwinns are some of the most sought after colors that they made.

The violet bikes are usually fairly rare so your Dad has a pretty cool Typhoon. :wink:

66' TYPHOON - 2 SPD

Yeah.....I now feel dumb about that. :/
Chalk it up to being a newbie I guess? That typhoon you found looks like its in great condition.

66' TYPHOON - 2 SPD

Also, not sure if it's true, but pops told me the purple was made for bike rental companies?
He grew up in Wildwood NJ (beach town), worked on the boardwalk - so I'm fairly certain that's how he came across it.

Nah...that was a standard color that Schwinn offered in the 60s on certain bikes they sold.

Sounds like the bike rental company choose to purchase a large quantity of bikes from the Schwinn dealer in the violet color.

That seat is pretty cool....it may be worth more than the bike...ha ha! :lol:

Spent half the day today tearing this bike down and going over everything. The only thing I didn't tackle was cleaning out and repacking the kickback hub...not brave enough yet.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

My poor fingahs. :cry:

The kickback hub works and functions pretty well, but you can tell it needs to be taken apart and cleaned out to really run smooth.

I know someone will tell me how easy it is to clean out and repack a kickback. :roll: :lol:

Latest posts

Back