'60 Jag! 100% DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just got home from picking this up. I've got a '63 Typhoon, I really dig the canti framed Schwinn middleweights. Been keeping my eye out for a original black paint '59-'61 Corvette for a while now... Cruising through eBay last night I stumbled across this black Jaguar, and it was local!! Needless to say, a deal was struck and I'm a happy guy!
So, looking it over... This was a 3 speed bike, are there any issues with converting it to coaster brake? The only thing I see that is really different is where the rear brake was mounted to the frame. My Typhoon has a different brace here that the fender is tight up against... Sorry for the lame question!
The decals on the top tube are MIA, but that's ok as I like the '58 and earlier style better anyway. Also missing the headbadge, I think I may go for a starburst badge...
As for fenders, I can't stand the chrome originals. What I REALLY want is a pair of original paint black fenders from a Typhoon, etc. So if you have some let me know!
I'm not sure about bars yet... I might just go for flipped originals, but I'm really liking the thought of some straight polished aluminium bars with original black grips... Anyone have an early solid neck they want to get rid of?
Crank and chainwheel will be originals (picked those up from the same guy), and I've got a set of polished aluminium mountain bike wheels for my Fat Franks and hybrid blue/yellow kickback hub.
That just leaves the seat and post, I've got my eye on a seat, if you've got a post let me know!

Thanks for letting me ramble on, I'm pretty excited!
aefe179f-9057-fedc.jpg

Re: '60 Jag!

Glad to here your all fired up! Love that part of a build
Should be no problem converting 3speed to single speed, done it quite a few times
Steel frames are usually okay to tighten down on a somewhat narrower hub
so check your frame width to match up axle length on the single speed hub
The middle weight Schwinns do have a great shape and are build really solid
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Good luck!

I threw the old S7's from my Typhoon under it and the width seems ok.

Tearing into my kickbacks now. Finally!

Your decals are in fact not MIA; since it's a Jag, they were never there because Jags came with a tank and the decals were on the tank :wink:

Should make a sweet bike. You can never go wrong with these Schwinn middleweights. As far as the fenders, the three speed fenders mounted from a tab on the fender which was pinned up to the frame by the brake calipers. Single speed ones just had holes which screwed directly to the frame. I think that's what you were asking? And yeah, this would have had S-7s and 1 3/4". Only the first few years of Jaguar were balloon for the 53-55 era.

'60 Jag!

I was just coming to that conclusion about the tank, thanks for the confirmation. I'm not wild about the flashy chrome tank, and I like that the twin bars give me a place to stow my lock. I also want to take a lighter weight, less is more approach. So I think I may skip the tank on this build... unless I happen across one for cheap (yeah right!).

This is what I meant about the rear fender mount. See the difference?
aefe0dd2-c928-687e.jpg

That mount on the black frame is for a caliper brake/hand brake a coaster brake wheel fits just fine on that frame

tnt1 said:
That mount on the black frame is for a caliper brake/hand brake a coaster brake wheel fits just fine on that frame

Right, but what about the fender?

You just need a little L shaped bracket that bolts to the fender then bolt it to the bridge thing thats sticking up hope that helps you Tony

tnt1 said:
You just need a little L shaped bracket that bolts to the fender then bolt it to the bridge thing thats sticking up hope that helps you Tony
Yep my Schwinn Heavy Duty had that same setup stock and it was coaster brake. I'm in the process of converting it to 5 speed though.

Cool, thanks gents.

Sweet build, I'll be watching :wink:
Here's a bracket I made out of conduit for my build off bike :D
001-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

Your bike is the one that really made me start searching... Tank looks good on there! Everything is just perfect, love it!

I just noticed the front fork is going to give me a similar problem in regards to fender attachment. Similar solution as the rear? Or should I search out a different fork?

Hmmm... Not liking the idea of all these brackets. If anyone has the fork I need (in original black) let me know.

Thanks for putting up with all the rookie questions!

'60 Jag!

Not much to report, but last night I did have the grand idea to find this (stingray?) chain wheel and paint detail it. I was lucky enough to find one at the first bike shop I stopped at. I would have set it up with my crank and built up the bottom bracket, but my crank is a bit more rusty than I would prefer. I'll have to find another.
aefe0a3c-f364-17d6.jpg

Should look cool behind the chrome/black Jaguar chain guard.

GTV said:
Not much to report, but last night I did have the grand idea to find this (stingray?) chain wheel and paint detail it. I was lucky enough to find one at the first bike shop I stopped at. I would have set it up with my crank and built up the bottom bracket, but my crank is a bit more rusty than I would prefer. I'll have to find another.
aefe0a3c-f364-17d6.jpg

Should look cool behind the chrome/black Jaguar chain guard.
THAT IS TOO COOL MAN!!! awesome idea! That will look perfect on the Jag.Looks like a stingray sprocket to me.

'60 Jag!

Thanks man! I thought it looked a little like a Porsche alloy wheel, it was just missing the paint detail. Looks sweet spinning.
aefe1232-8acc-bd5d.jpg

Decided to not get too anal and just installed the crank I already have. I dig it. Also got my original paint black Typhoon fenders in. They were pretty haggard but after a lot of cleaning and hammering I think they'll do. Going to bob the rear anyway. Hopefully this weekend...

'60 Jag!

Mocked up with fenders and the old wheels from my Typhoon. Trying to get a feel of how much to cut the fenders. I think the front of the front fender will loose about 5" and the fender stays. The rear of the front is really rusty anyway and I want it to come up to better match the front of the rear fender. So maybe 1-2" there. I can't decide yet how far to take the rear fender...
aefe19db-fe03-fe72.jpg

Need to find some aluminium hoops to lace up and install my hubs...

Latest posts

Back