'54 Jag -- Out of the build off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came across the bike buildoff yesterday and decided to join hope its not too late.
I will be using my Schwinn Jaguar frame, thats in pretty rough shape. I want to make it look like an early Jaguar but instead of a three speed make it a two. I am planning to set it up like an American with the two speed coaster in the rear and a rim brake on the front. Paint it a Corvette red and throw on some chrome balloon rims and fenders. Here's what it should look like...
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... jaguar.jpg
and here's how I bought it
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... rent=8.jpg

Re: "JAGomatic"

Have fun and Good Luck!

1955-schwinn-jaguar.jpg

8.jpg

Got the frame and got it stripped, can't seem to get off the name plate. And I kind off screwed up the seat clamp trying to remove the post. Going to prime tomorrow and hopefully paint Wednesday.
jag1.jpg

jag3.jpg

jag2.jpg

jag4.jpg

Yeah, I got tired of seeing rusty bikes in my garage and I wanted a nice one for a change.
I am also curious to see how good it will do in the polls since its not to ratty.

I tried to find one on Ebay but they're more expensive then I would be willing to pay. So I'm going to see what's in my garage.
Right now this is my best option but I don't know how to put a front brake on it.
I really wish I had a welder! And some Schwinn truss rods.
cruiserfork2.jpg

cruiserfork1.jpg

This is off subject but this is another project I'm working on that I mocked up. I probably won't use those handlebars or wheels, just put them on to see how the springer looked. And I'm not sure where to go with it . A full fendered cruiser or a klunker?

This was before when I was riding it around.
4.jpg

This is it now with the springer.
Monarkspringer.jpg

(It's an early single spring Monark fork).

I was combing the internet when I found this.
25SchwinnAlloyDXMens-GreenDarkGreen.jpg

This is kind of the look I'm going for. I wonder where I can get one of those lights?

You could go with either bike. I'm waiting to see what ya do. Have fun and...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

I couldn't prime today but I finally found a parts bike for my build (craigslist).
partsbike.jpg

And this awesome ten speed cruiser. Check out the bars.
tenspeed.jpg

I payed a little too much for them, $25, but I couldn't pass them up.
I also found some Schwinn truss rods, all I need now is a chainguard.

The fork from the parts bike is too short and I don't have a welder. I am thinking of drilling a hole in my cruiser fork for the brake.
Do you think it would work or make it too weak?
forksucks2.jpg

It looks good but is way too short!
forksucks.jpg

Here's the fork I might drill.
cruiserfork2.jpg

you should be able to drill the pink fork to use the caliper brake off the one thats too short,, no issues there that I can see.. :mrgreen:

KickBackCycles said:
I tried to find one on Ebay but they're more expensive then I would be willing to pay. So I'm going to see what's in my garage.
Right now this is my best option but I don't know how to put a front brake on it.
I really wish I had a welder! And some Schwinn truss rods.
cruiserfork2.jpg

cruiserfork1.jpg

um if thats the fork you want to ues just dill a hole in the center between the legs and run a frunt caleper brake. but a repo 26" schwinn springer would look more right. they cost only $25.00 brand new at most bike shops

KickBackCycles said:
The fork from the parts bike is too short and I don't have a welder. I am thinking of drilling a hole in my cruiser fork for the brake.
Do you think it would work or make it too weak?
forksucks2.jpg

It looks good but is way too short!
forksucks.jpg

Here's the fork I might drill.

cruiserfork2.jpg

thats how the factory dose it. they first build the forks. then deside if it needs a frunt brake. if yes then they drill it out. if no they leave it as is then of to paint it gose. so you should be fine!

as for the chain gard and fender light off the enternet schwinn you found. all thoughs parts and more can be orderd strate from SCHWINN of there webe page or have your local bike shop ortder them! my local bike store orderd me a repo SCHWINN blackfantom tank,light and rear rack from SCHWINN. it fit on my 73 5 speed SCHWINN perfict. no mods needed bolted right on!

slow rider said:
as for the chain gard and fender light off the enternet schwinn you found. all thoughs parts and more can be orderd strate from SCHWINN of there webe page or have your local bike shop ortder them! my local bike store orderd me a repo SCHWINN blackfantom tank,light and rear rack from SCHWINN. it fit on my 73 5 speed SCHWINN perfict. no mods needed bolted right on!
I looked on the Schwinn site (http://www.schwinnbikes.com/)and can't find any of those parts. Where are they?

And about that pink/red fork, I can't use it because the fork legs are too long and don't fit the truss rods. I think I'll have to suck it up and order one from Ebay.

I've got everything covered on the bike accept the Schwinn Ballooner chainguard. Does anyone have one?
1955-schwinn-jaguar.jpg

If you do send me a picture in your pm.

Back