52 Monark General...

Sep 1, 2012
Minneapolis, MN.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey everyone!

It's been a few years since I've been on here and I recently rekindled the old bike love in part to trolling around on here again. So, I started scouring CL for a new project... Much to my surprise!!! I came across a Monark General that I had my eyes on a few years ago that ended up in a fellow RRBers hands.

So I picked it up. From what I gathered from his thread, It came out of a cabin up north and is a 1952 model.

After getting it home and starting to disassemble the General, I can give you a shorter list of parts that are not bent or rusted solid.

The seat post is still giving me a hard time.

Reactions: Scribble
Sep 1, 2012
Minneapolis, MN.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With all of the bent or broken parts and then scouring the forums and ebay for replacements... I decided on picking up a donor.

I will still have to get a dogleg crankset to replace the badly bent original set. I did manage to straighten out the original chainring.

Sep 1, 2012
Minneapolis, MN.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I found a different donor that I feel less bad about tearing down. I was really wanting to keep the ladies Rocket untouched.

It even had the dogleg cranks that I was after. but what I am really excited about are the New Departure blackout hubs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2012
Minneapolis, MN.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found a proper tank with improper graphics but it gets the job done and the horn works! A few more OG parts to track down.

*please excuse the crappy upside down photo. She's in the rafters for the winter.

Sep 1, 2012
Minneapolis, MN.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is. I'm feeling the same way about this tank...

May 14, 2013
Boise, ID
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Looking good so far :thumbsup:

Reactions: Fat Willy
Sep 1, 2012
Minneapolis, MN.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got a different chain guard and it was nice out today so I pulled the Monark down from the rafters. I'm in need of some truss rods if anyone has any.

Members online

The Bike Wall BOXKARS