'42 BFG (Schwinn) klunker....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it took a little convincing, but it rides straight now :) This is the BFG I picked up the same week as that maroon Rudge. I'll post better shots soon but you get the idea.....

DSC01722.jpg

o.k., here's a little more detail......

DSC01725.jpg

where there is still original paint it's browned but fairly shiny

DSC01729.jpg

original badge, fork, and headset. prewar struts from somewhere...(?)

DSC01727.jpg

i like the different BFG details on the fork and frame

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

no seat collar on this one....

DSC01731.jpg

morrow coaster rear hub, modern union (sram) drum up front

DSC01732.jpg

suntour xc-2 pedals and some mid-eighties shimano cranks, 180mm!

DSC01728.jpg

brooks b68 saddle, weinmann as7x rims, and holy rollers finish it off!

DSC01730.jpg

Rad ride........LOVE the orignal paint.......Man back in the day they really took time into style and design of there bikes.......Thats why I only own vintage bikes.......Awesome work.....

rustyspokes21 said:
Rad ride........LOVE the orignal paint.......Man back in the day they really took time into style and design of there bikes.......Thats why I only own vintage bikes.......Awesome work.....

yeah, it's hard to imagine anybody in 2075 being psyched about an old 2009 trek 3700, specialized hardrock, giant rincon, etc :|

I'm tempted to steal elements of that feather pattern and make some stencils for my build- off hotrod.
p.s. do those skinny american seatposts ever bend at that length?

JOScatRATrod said:
.......do those skinny american seatposts ever bend at that length?

oh yeah! that's why quite a few klunker builders use solid 6061 machined posts. on the other hand wald 13/16 posts are so cheap many folks feel it's ok that they're just disposable :D while i have bikes built each way, i'm slowly converting to machined for the peace of mind and better fit for less strain on the clamping hardware.

Rat Rod said:
I think you just swiped those photos off of Alan's website. :wink:

nah, alan springs for era correct cranks on those beauties!

.......but sometimes he uses fugly grips. :shock: there, i said it! :eek:

......blasphemer! stone him! stone him! :x

slacker said:
I just noticed the old Suntour skewer. That is a skewer, right? How well does it hold? Did you have to modify it, or just cut it down?

I just remembered! I have a Campy and an Atom I could try to use on my Colson!

they're just mtb seatpost qr's, i only have to trim a fraction of an inch usually. another cheapo touch- no campy's for me :D i really do like the quality and style of the 80's suntour and specialized mtb seatpost skewers (like with the sealed hubs, other than lettering they're the same thing). i have to admit once in a while some sorry pawnshop mtb leaves the shop with a different qr than it arrived with...... :oops:

sprucemoose said:
........You must be a giant to roll on 180 cranks! :shock:

nah, while they're sort of an unusual find, they're not that unusual a spec for a heavy, low-rpm single speed :wink:

Latest posts

Back