41 schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It's obviously Schwinn, but it is an older repaint so I can't be sure of the correctness of parts. Wrong seat :x I was told it is a 41, but I'm not sure. The top headset cup is a cup that threads down onto the bearing and race. I remember seeing this on some 70's schwinns, but not on my other 30's-50's Schwinns, so I'm stumped. Hopefully the fork and guard or correct. I'll pull the crank and be sure soon, but it could have been replaced so who knows. Any help is appreciated. In the how-to thread someone mentioned the guard being one-year-only. Not sure if that helps with the date. I can post the serial but I guess it wouldn't help since it's pre-48. If specific photos could help let me know.
SANY0695.jpg

If the guard is original to the bike, it's a '41 Schwinn. That guard was one year only, '41. Gary

Looking at the seat stem, I think they painted the bike while it was together. If you take the chainguard off, I'll bet the paint matches where the brace connects to the frame on the chainstay and the inside of the chain guard brace. Maybe the original paint looks good and can be saved.

yeah, they painted it while together. From what I can see though, there is some bare metal where the paint got chipped. If there is any original paint I'll do my best to get to it, but I have a bad feeling on this one. If the original oaint is trashed, I'd like to keep the burnt orange and throw on some funky lime green pinstripes. The spokes are so bad. I might cut out the hubs and put them back with nicer spokes. The rims are good structurally, and under the orange I see the original stripes.

Latest posts

Back