'38 Colson "Texas Special"- Action Pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to get rid of my 13' long skid bike due to lack of storage space. With the Midwest Bicycle Fest less than two weeks out I need to rush a build. My stock of parts was decimated by a recent move and severe decrease in storage space so I really had to hustle to find something. I couldn't find an old beater to use on short notice so I hit up garagegoon and spent a couple days negotiating on this clean project he had stalled out on.

As purchased
419038_10151394697240278_1952465076_n.jpg

Due to my space constraints at the moment I have to lose a bike in order to add one to the collection. My motorized bike drew the short straw and was parted out to add the Colson. I also swiped some parts from my '04 DiamondBack Joker for now.

533859_10151399719660278_1546457920_n.jpg

I also picked up this NOS Texas Special badge from http://www.porkchopbmx.com a while back and have been waiting to find just the right bike for it. The paint scheme on the bike told me the time was right.

401115_10151399719900278_1317335162_n.jpg

The wheel set off the motor bike will find a home on here and I am thinking that some red tires will make it eventually as well.

After the fest the bike will get the correct forks and a proper build up, but for now I got a plan.

Re: '38 Colson "Texas Special"

KC so-cal said:
that frame is to cool so what are your plans to do with your build looks like it would be a cool klunker!

Garagegoon started it out as a klunker, but it really isn't my style. Once I get started on the bike after the fest it will lead me where it wants to go.

That looks awesome! I have the exact same frame, pretty sure its also a 38.

udallcustombikes said:
I normally do but I cannot lay claim to this one. The paint was done when it came into my possession.

Ahhh, nice, I didn't catch the "as purchased" in there, first dibs on this one if she ever parts!! :mrgreen:

That turned out awesome, those colors really pop, flow nicely together.

I have most of the parts on the way to finish the build before the bike fest. I will be documenting the build as I go but nothing more will be posted until after the fest. This thread is going dark for the next week.

you have a style to your build Cam I always like to see your bikes... I just want to pull my bus up and dump the parts out
and see what you will do with them ... :)

udallcustombikes said:
Just bring 'em with you next weekend and I will send you home with a Udall Custom (another one). Be entertaining for the crowd as well.
would love to .. but cant make it buddy back from afghanistan and is retiring... will be a big blow out... I have to
drive the bus..

Henry morgan said:
udallcustombikes said:
Just bring 'em with you next weekend and I will send you home with a Udall Custom (another one). Be entertaining for the crowd as well.
would love to .. but cant make it buddy back from afghanistan and is retiring... will be a big blow out... I have to
drive the bus..

Well thank him for his service from me and mark your calendar for next year.

Most of my parts arrived today and I promptly got them installed. I am still awaiting the seat. I don't know what to think of the bike. My wife said it looks likes like a clown bike. My daughter said we should call it the "Hot Dog Bike" because it looks like it is covered in ketchup and mustard. I am on the fence.

I posted one pic on my facebook page and those of you who have liked my page can see it. Otherwise I am waiting until the Midwest Bicycle Fest to let the public see it.

It is a bike that really screams for attention, I am just not sure if it is good or bad attention that it wants.

I haven't gotten a chance to upload my pics of the finished bike yet, but here are a few taken by ndaway and mazdaflyer at the Midwest Bicycle Fest yesterday.
383555_436865756350224_1174163344_n.jpg

198670_4071852718257_634626901_n.jpg

Here I am taking some tread off the new tires in the skid contest. I won the coaster brake division making three years running that I have brought home a trophy.
426352_436870203016446_992519793_n.jpg

Back