3 speed hub question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Hercules was responsible for every one of me and my brothers crashing horribly. My younger brother couldn't find a nut and bolt, so he duct taped the brake lever to the handlebars and went "racing" with a friend. He wound out second gear, and was pulling hard in third when the tape gave way, and the handle with cable went into the front spokes, stopping the bike on a dime. He hit the concrete face first. Our friend parked his bike and ran all the way back to our house yelling "He broke his neck! He broke his neck!" He didn't, just had road rash and was known as the swamp thing for a few weeks.

SA had a 3 speed w coaster that had no brakes if you were between 2nd and 3rd! Yikes!

I agree with F&S, the ones I've had, and now the SRAM hubs, seem tough and well made.

The SRAM hubs, at least the 2 and 3 speeds, have a lot of Fichtel & Sachs DNA. The designs are great, and they're durable if used correctly, but the finish and qulity of materials are just not what the old F&S stuff had. The 80s/90s Sachs (sans Fichtel) were more like the SRAM stuff, and Sachs is the firm that SRAM bought-out.

Sturmey-Archers were odd in that they kinda had peaks and valleys, in terms of quality and design. Their best stuff were the old 3speeds from the pre-war era, although early post-war was good, too. At some point, they started playing with different designs that weren't as good (the first 2 attempts at the coaster were terrible--especially the TCW... the 60s-era 3 speed fixed gear was quirky, the SW was meant to replace the AW but had engagement issues, etc...) and the QC just sorta kept dropping, ever so slightly, for a few decades before SunRace bought them out. According to Sheldon's site, the SunRace guys bought the name, designs, and all the tooling.... and paid a small fortune shipping the machines to Taiwan, only to find that they were so worn and out-of-spec that they had to make new ones, anyway. Still, n a lot of ways, i think i could argue that the Sturmey-Archer was the greatest hub ever made, if not b/c it was actually the best at any one thing, b/c it was so good at so many things.... and so ubiquitous and influential, it really shaped cycling for the past, what??? 80 years or more! That's amazing; no other hub has been in continuous production nearly that long.

Whenever see an old F& hub, though, I can't deny it; tho se things are gorgeous. Little works of art....

Last edited:
Great discussion of the elegant 3-spd w/coaster. Internal shifting and braking, all in one weather-proof shell. So underappreciated, and so much more because the materials and craftsmanship that went into these older hubs is far and away superior to the new stuff I have seen in my long life. I also run a few older sturmey coasters which are really dependable if adjusted properly.
Every time I get ahold of and take apart an old F&S hub, I am amazed by the condition that I find them in, I think because of the jewel-like precision and quality of the metals they used. The ones I ride will surely outlast me...:nod:. skpc

Last edited:
i have a sachs 3 speed coaster hubs with nos shifters for sale,sheldon brown says a sturmy archer shifter aso works with these hubs

PIC_0001.JPG

Drive side nuts intact? What would you take for them? Conv. started.....

Last edited:
I had to pass after contacting 5-spd. But since I horde them and try to buy at super-low prices, I passed. Great price for both from 5-Spd.

This is a plug for someone to buy these two hubs. One is a 3111,(older) and the other is a 515. BOTH are highly recommended at that price with the shifters. Better hurry up or I will go after them myself whether I need them or not. SKPC!!

Last edited:
It isn't listed there. It is above in this thread. $120 for both. Just start a private conversation with 5-spd and he will respond.....skpc

Latest posts

Back