26" Beach Cruiser Strandie Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3176.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3186.JPG
IMG_3187.JPG
IMG_3185.JPG
Just in the last year we have started going camping, which means you need to have a sweet 26" Cruiser. My best friend asked me to build him a Beach Cruiser for when we go camping. He gave me full creative control. I knew it would be to expensive to do a real period correct late 70 early 80's build, so I thought I would have some fun with it. Plus listening to him talk and what caught his attention. Keep in mind, this is kind of a low budget build, and it will have a mix of parts. I donated a 1979 Schwinn middle weight, that was pretty beet up. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it when I started, and in hind sight I should of started with a balloon tire frame, and in better shape, but oh well, here we are. First I had to straighten the drive side seat stay, it was bent down pretty good. This was accomplished with good old fashioned brute force, and it responded really good. Sorry, I did this before I decided to start taking pictures. You will also notice I have a frame jig. The story here is, a guy I work with built two jigs around 1979-1980 as he recalls. He was working for a shop that was building motorcycle frames and swing arms at the time. He decided he wanted to start his own bicycle company. He used a Mongoose Motomag to build his BMX jig, and he used a Schwinn Cruiser for his 26" Cruiser jig. I've already used both jigs numerous times to repair and customize frames. After I bead blasted the frame I realized how much rust was there. Not cancer, just a lot of rust. I spent a lot of time with a DA going over all of the tubing to clean it up. Once I decided on how I wanted the bike to look I ordered a set on wheels from Chris at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. Great deal on wheel sets! I then ordered a set of the Cult Vans edition 2.35" tires. Once I mounted the wheels and tires in this frame I realized I had a clearance issue. SO the fun begins! I cut out he fender support/bridge. I then welded in a tubular one. Before I welded in the new brake mount I spread the frame both in the seat stays and chain stays. One I was happy with the clearance I welded up the new brake bride/cross member. As you can see in the pictures, I used this really cool spreader system, that again, Doug, the guy who built the frame jigs, had in his tool box, thanks Doug!

Last edited:
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
Picked up from powder coater and started assembly. Ran into a few small problems, but all good now. I installed head cups and bearings, slid forks up and threaded on the bearing nut, it stopped/bottomed out before I had any pre-load on the bearings, but also became evident the steer tube was way to long. Grabbed my daughters and said we are going to McDonald's, but first stopping by our local bike shop. I actually took two forks in, one set for a Schwinn cruiser we are building for my son that had a couple buggered threads. I'll post this build separate. So the owner CRAIG wasn't in, I knew he had the giant handle and tap, so one of the young mechanics dug around and found it. He was scared, so I ended up adding about .500" of threads. Then off to McDonalds, then back home. I'll get more done later today.

Love those forks! almost the same ones I used on my BO12 bike.
I had to cut mine down as well. I had to have mine threaded at the LBS too cause I couldn't find my die.. They charged me $35 and didn't even cut the key way! :confused: (already ordered another die !)

Last edited:
What are all the b&w pads for? Planning for a mishap? Looks like a competition "empty pool" bmx bike and not a 26" strandie.
Crash Pads: not necessary.

Maybe not necessary, but the checkerboard pads combined with the Vans give this bike a solid early to mid-80s vibe that I appreciate :grin:!

Only thing I would change on the pads is maybe go with black/chrome checkerboard...or possibly some of these...
download (1).jpg

Jason

Just teasing you a bit. Not much of a doo-dad type of builder. Great project though! skpc

Latest posts

Back