1980 Schwinn Stingray II Scrambler (Now with Video! 4/11/09)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check it out! I met Chainsaw & Giggles at the 2009 Grand Rapids Autorama and we swapped some stuff; Chainy was nice enough to give me a 1980 Schwinn Stingray II frame, fork, and crank. I had a Scrambler seat & Scrambler bars waiting. My dad helped me a lot on this project. It turned out great, but the pictures of it outside didn't. :( Oh well. There's always next sunlight. :lol: Giggles and Chainsaw also gave me a sticker pack! The Freak Bike Militia sticker on the rear fender looks great, so does the flat black paint.

About the bike: The pedals are Schwinn and dated 1977. The fork crown was added. The bars/seat/grips/gooseneck are circa 1975. The wheels, tires, and tubes were found in the dumpster!!! I just painted the yellow walls. :wink: This bike is very earth friendly. Reduce, reuse, recycle. :lol: I'm going to upload it to the BMX Museum database later. :mrgreen:

Build Pictures (1-31-09):
DSC02730.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02737.jpg

DSC02738.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

Photo Shoot (2-2-09), and again, sorry for the dark pictures :wink: :
DSC02757.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02767.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02769.jpg

DSC02771.jpg

DSC02772.jpg

With friends... :mrgreen:
DSC02778.jpg

DSC02787.jpg

Edit > I forgot to mention... I have $0.00 into this project, no strings attached, seriously! That's the way I like building them!!!!! :mrgreen:

PS: And no I did not rob anyone. :wink:

Re: 1980 Schwinn Stingray II Scrambler

Looks awesome!!!

Now...for the million dollar question...where'd you get the tires? :D

Looks great!

A photo tip:
Your outdoor pictures look dark because your camera's light meter is adjusting for the snow.
See if you can adjust the exposure and cheat it a couple stops up (brighter).
Or cheat your light meter with something dark in the picture frame.
Or just adjust in photoshop with levels tool.

But the pictures are fine as they are, you can definitely see the bicycle.
Awesome collection of muscle!

Rat Rod said:
Looks awesome!!!

Now...for the million dollar question...where'd you get the tires? :D

Thank you Steve. It's always a compliment when I get people asking where I got the tires. :lol: I did a very time consuming masking job and spray painted the sides of the tires yellow with Krylon Fusion. I tried to find yellow wall tires on the internet but couldn't find any, so I made my own. The paint will eventually flake off over years, but I'm satisfied with them.

JoeyMac said:
Looks great!

A photo tip:
Your outdoor pictures look dark because your camera's light meter is adjusting for the snow.
See if you can adjust the exposure and cheat it a couple stops up (brighter).
Or cheat your light meter with something dark in the picture frame.
Or just adjust in photoshop with levels tool.

But the pictures are fine as they are, you can definitely see the bicycle.
Awesome collection of muscle!

Ah, there's the reason. I wondered if the snow had something to do with it, now I know. Thanks a lot for the information, I will remember that for next time. 8)

Beautiful! It has a stingray gone BMX look that is genuinely cool. :D I need a scrambler like I need a hole in my head... :roll: But I can keep dreaming.

My grinder gives it a thumbs up!
You and dad did a great job! I especially like the tire treatment. They fit this FreakRay perfectly!
Zach, contact Rick or Buck at House of Wheels, That's where Gigs got her ReadWalls for her new build. I just assumed that you found some yeller ones. I know they said they thought there were blue and yellow walls also. Their phone # and address is on our FreakBike Friendly bike shop section.

But remember ... If you ever feel the urge .... the grinders ready! :wink:
Chainy

Thanks for the comments guys.

Chainy, just tell your grinder to take its urges out on a Magna. :mrgreen:

Hehehehe.... I took the Stingray II for a nice ride today, my Dad came along with too. I took some photos and created a video. :mrgreen: It was a relatively nice day in West Michigan today... still cold though! :mrgreen:

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFCawiw7CjU

DSC03566.jpg

DSC03567.jpg

DSC03594.jpg

Looking down at the Stingray from the racetrack bleachers... :wink:
DSC03570.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

The lady who owns this building is crazy but it makes for a great photo opportunity. 8)
DSC03602.jpg

Cool! I especially like the lat picture... the bike seems to ask... "what are you gonna do about it?" :lol:

schwinnmesa free bikes are the best kind! Earth friendly, I like that too. Video turned out great. I give your effort not one, but
images.jpg
two thumbs up.

those yellow tires really set that bike on fire! that looks totally rad. and especially since you painted those tires yourself!!

Easy E

Back