1961 Murray ( not sure what) DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Got this frame from a member in a trade and decided to put some parts on it and give it a chance to be ridden. Rides good. Just can't seem to get the forks and headset tight.

IMG_9088.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

IMG_9091.jpg

IMG_9084.jpg

IMG_9087.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

Nice lookin' bike :!: Loosen the bolts on the top triple clamp of the fork,adjust the headset,retighten the bolts on the top triple clamp and you should be good to go.

Circa Cycles said:
Nice lookin' bike :!: Loosen the bolts on the top triple clamp of the fork,adjust the headset,retighten the bolts on the top triple clamp and you should be good to go.

I have tried several times to loosen the top clamp then get the headset in place....it seems if i push down on the top bracket when getting it tightened it wont stay tight...or it seems too tight. It actually feels like something is crooked.

Oh man,I hope that's not the case!Everything looks straight in the pics.That was the first possible solution that popped into my head.The top bearing cup looks like it fits a 1" steer tube while the bottom one looks like 1 1/8" as well as the steer tube sticking out of the bottom.Is the star nut slipping?Is there play between the head tube and cups or is it inside the headset?How much steer tube is inside the stem?One thing I know for sure,it's a lot easier to figure out when you can put your hands on it rather than over the interwebs :!: Let us know what happens when you figure it out.I hope my suggestions help or someone else with a bigger brain than mine cares to educate us.Again,cool bike 8) Hope you get things smoothed out soon.

Latest posts

Back