1960 SCHWINN SPITFIRE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Picked this one up at the swap meet today. :wink:

100_5594.jpg

100_5600.jpg

100_5596.jpg

100_5598.jpg

100_5597.jpg

100_5599.jpg

Looks like your trip to the swap meet was a success.

That should make a nice rat - and one with fenders too.

Nice purchase.

Wanna trade for a yellow Stingray??

Thanks guys!

My Dad's gettin the Del Sol cruiser I got a few weeks ago...he loves it more than me so I thought he needed it instead.

I'm a sucker for this paint pattern that Schwinn used...not sure what it's called, but I love the design.

Also love the big head badge and the pinstripped wheels.

Looks like I'll be trackin down a set of black wall 26 x 1 3/4s now. :roll:

Steve they make a 26x2x1-3/4 Yeah dont beileve me i got the tire tage It looks nicer than the skinny 1x3/4 Like the bike.

Sensor, Are u talking about the tires? If u are send me a link i need like 4 of them...

Here she is after a bit of cleaning....surprisingly enough these old crusty dried up tires and tube still hold air and let me take it for a quick spin up and down our alley.

The bike has a lot of battle scars...but it's solid and tight and seems to ride well.

100_5621.jpg

100_5622.jpg

100_5627.jpg

Crazy how Schwinn is still using that paint scheme. My 07 has the same designs, just slightly different placement.

bw.jpg

Man RatRod, I saw that bike and actually thought about buying it myself. I stopped myself because I want to get this Columbia rolling before I start on another bike.

Steve thats so weird, My spitfire, My buddy dereks, Yours, And like two other ones on here, All have "BATTLE Scars" i havent ever seen a "mint" spitfire with this color scheme there all really rough.

Redge said:
Man RatRod, I saw that bike and actually thought about buying it myself. I stopped myself because I want to get this Columbia rolling before I start on another bike.

Sorry that I didn't see you on Saturday. I ended up meeting several guys from the Schwinn forum that I had chatted with in the past, but had never met.

This turned out to be a funny deal with the Spitfire. I saw the old man with the long trailer full of stuff pull in near the end of the swap meet and I spotted the Spitfire on the trailer as he rolled by. I wasn't really looking to buy another bike, but I have always like that paint scheme.

There were lots of people who went over and swarmed around the guy's trailer when he parked it so I figured...yeah, that bike will be gone quick.

I kept watching it sit over there next to his trailer so finally I decided to walk over and take a look. I asked him "how much?" and he said..."I don't know yet....let me think about it." I laughed and said okay. I went away for another 30 minutes and then was walking past him again and said...."come up with a price yet?" He said "yeah...I'll take $60 for it." :shock:

Uhhh, needless to say....I took him up on the offer. :mrgreen:

ricksterr1221 said:
Steve thats so weird, My spitfire, My buddy dereks, Yours, And like two other ones on here, All have "BATTLE Scars" i havent ever seen a "mint" spitfire with this color scheme there all really rough.

Schwinn marketed this model to mean kids...ha ha. :lol:

RatRod, you're lucky I didn't ask the guy for a price. If he told me $60 I would've said yes right there. I told myself not to even ask though because I need to focus my feeble funds on this Columbia.
Congrats on the purchase though, it's a wicked cool bike even if it's showing some scares. Gives character. 8)

Back