1958 Schwinn Traveler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get my hands on a lady's 1958 Schwinn Traveler. It seems to be all original. It has a good amount of rust on it. I got it for $5. My question is what can I sell the bike for, depending on its condition. Like for example, what is it worth if I just clean it, keeping it together, as opposed to taking it apart and cleaning it part by part, changing bearings and all. The brakes work, tires seem rotted, and I have to check the gears. It is a 3 speed. Thanks. I will take some pics and post when I can, right now she's in the shed.

It would have come with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. It'll have a 2 digit date stamp on it, showing month and year. Add some light oil in the hub port and in the hole where the little chain goes then give it some time to work in and it may be good to go. Same with the shifter and cable and brake cables. The brakes working as you got it is a good sign that everything is in good shape.It being a women's bike usually means it hasn't seen a lot of wear on any of the parts.
The tires may be the Schwinn S-5 or S-6, different from 26 x 1 3/8ths standard lightweight tire. It'll say on the tire. Make sure it's those if you change them out.
Value depends on the condition, if it is rideable, and what someone wants to pay. Unfortunately, women's vintage bikes don't go for too much, even in excellent original condition. The best bet would be someone who is looking for that particular bike, or has a men's traveler that needs some original looking parts.

Latest posts

Back