1947 Dayton

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
someguy83 said:
37fleetwood said:
what about painting the frame darts and pin striping it then clearing it leaving most of the frame shiny metal? I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that.

I hesitate to ask this...what do you mean by FRAME DARTS? :oops:
using this one as an example, the red parts are the frame darts. I think it would look cool to paint red darts with some pin stripes and leave the frame shiny. it was really common that Huffman used red trim with butter yellow pins (they called it cream).
p1010893.jpg

37fleetwood said:
what about painting the frame darts and pin striping it then clearing it leaving most of the frame shiny metal? I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that.

Ok so now my thought is correct as far as what you were suggesting. And I like the look of that, it is one of the things that caught my eye when I first saw the Hiawatha.
However I like the look of the brazed joints and don't want to cover up that little bit of a visable history lesson. So my current thought is polish up the frame, then clear coat it to protect the metal and do flat black fenders and fork. The fork was pretty rough and I already shot it flat black so thats how it will stay. I do like the suggestions and it will get pin striped on the fenders. Maybe I can have the "Darts" pin striped over the clear so it looks like they may eventually be filled in, but really they never will be(the permanent "work in progress" look). As always thanks for the thoughts.

Haven't been able to work on the bike lately. But I will update some changes being made. I found out that the tires I already have(26x2.125 Whitewalls) won't fit the rims for the bandbrake 3speed rear that I have. And apparently I can only get tires to fit in a 26x 1 3/8. So the band brake set up will take a back burner for now and will most likely be used else where. Unless I break down and buy a new 40 hole rim that is easier tio fit tires to but that will be pretty spendy. So instead I will be using a SA3 that Mr. DoubleNickle is shipping my way. Of course with my luck it turns out that the old sturmey is laced up to..... you guessed it..... another 26 x 1 3/8 rim. But dub had another rim laying around that will accomidate both the sturmey and my already acquired tires. Can't wait to get more parts to clean and rebuild :roll: Oh well. He says the rim is rusty so my plan is to paint it either red or yellow. This way it will tie in with the pin striping on the fenders when those get done. Stay tuned as soon as parts roll in we will have pics.

Dude how cool is this! I have the same exact bike. Same year and all. I'm looking for another 1947 dayton frame to make original sence I already have a Rat! I want to paint it red and blue like the bike above!!!!!!!!!! sweet 8) I will be watching this build. If you are ever in my area you need to bring your bike.

Just to be clear the red and blue bike is a Gamble's Hiawatha made by Shelby. I bought it first then found the Dayton thinking it too was a Hiawatha but instead it wasn't. Either way I am lovin the Dayton and this will become custom where as the Hiawatha will remain original (except for tires tubes and wiring which are wearing out).
Thanks dub I do like your Dayton rat, that chain guard is cool.

37fleetwood said:
someguy83 said:
37fleetwood said:

I hesitate to ask this...what do you mean by FRAME DARTS? :oops:
using this one as an example, the red parts are the frame darts. I think it would look cool to paint red darts with some pin stripes and leave the frame shiny. it was really common that Huffman used red trim with butter yellow pins (they called it cream).
p1010893.jpg
I was talking about this one. I want a huffman painted like this!

someguy83 said:
Oh :oops: Well the Hiawatha is also red and blue but covered with patina.
Fleetwood is definitely a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Huffman built bikes
+1

He has helped me with alot when it comes to Huffmans!

well, I have a few! :oops:
the one I posted is a 1941 Huffman Top Flite.

Project update: I mentioned earlier that the chainring was bent a bit and would need to be persuaded back into shape. Everytime the crank turned it would throw the chain, so it needs some help. Today I dropped it off to my uncle and he is going to straighten it for me. I originally was going to beat it into submission myself but with my luck I would probably go too far and then have to straighten it the other direction. Instead my uncle is going to heat it up with the torch and slowly bring it back to where it belongs. Hopefully have it back in a couple of days. Thats all for now.

Got the sprocket back form my uncle tonight (FINALLY)
In the last couple of weeks I have torn apart, degreased and reassembled the rear hub that came with the frame. It now resides in the front fork. At first the axle would not quite fit all the way in the front drop-outs, so I had to lightly grind them out with the Dremel. Now it sets in nicely and all that needs to be done is true the wheel and mount the tube and tire. I am starting to polish the frame and once that is done I can start reassembly. I bought a Sturmey Archer 3 speed from Double Nickle and recieved it a few days ago. Unfortunately it looks like UPS has done a wonderful job of putting other packages on top of the wheel and hub that dub sent me and in the process has broken the shift chain. :x
So now I am trying to figure out whether or not that can be fixed :roll: If it can be replaced then I will start cleaning that hub and then relace it into the other rim that Double Nickle sent me. Right now it is painted red but will get a fresh coat of black before being laced up.
Stay tuned.......

I decided last night to tear apart and clean the rear hub that double nickle sent me Before:

Removed the tire and the rim. Its so rusty it stays together even when holding it up by one spoke :roll:

I reduced it to a pile of parts:

I don't mind cleaning but I don't think those spokes will ever see use again. My tetnus shout is up to date but I have better things to do than clean and polish those back to life. They will join the scrap pile :D
I have been trying to find out whether or not I can get a new shift chain or not since UPS broke this one

So in the mean time I have decided that I will just clean it up and worse case scenario I will have a 3speed locked in gear that is unshiftable till I find a new chain. So I started removing some of the scale from the hub and found the engraving on the shell:

Can't tell what it says, here's a little more cleaning:

And a bit of polish to see how the chrome could look in the daylight this morning:

Now I just need to get to polishing that frame :roll: I think I will do that while the rear hub soaks a bit

Haven't had much progress on this for awhile. I have looked at it everyday sitting in the garage and have been dissapointed in my lack of ambition with it. So today I decided that if I didn't do anything with it at least I could let someone else do somethin to it. So I took the original rear hub and wheel up to the lbs and had them replace a broken spoke and true the wheel. They got it done after a couple hours and I picked it up when they called. Took it home wrapped the inner liner around it installed the tube and mounted the new white wall on it. I need new shorter spokes for the Sa3 hub that doublenickle gave me, so until then not much else to do with it now.

Well that was until I spotted the girlfriends sdaughters bike in the corner :lol: She doesn't ride it any more because its a 20 inch huffy and too small for her. What does this have to do with mine? you ask..... Well it gave up its front wheel for the time being and is now on the dayton. I quickly installed the neck and handle bars and then the seat post(thanks batten) and seat(thanks udall). Took it for a spin and all seems to work well. It needs some adjusting of the seat (needs to go back further, but need a 7 seat post for that) and the handle bars(a bit low and wide for the time being, still want a set of mini apes for it) but for now it rolls and is not too much of a dissapointment to me. Maybe now it will push me to make more head way on it.
I know what all of you say if theres no picture it didn't really happen so here is one from the cell phone sorry but it was all I had at the time-

Latest posts

Back