19?? JC Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It's interesting how I found this one.

I was walking past an old Raleigh bike at my local flea market when I overheard a man telling the Raleigh guy about 'an old J.C. Higgins' bike that he had at home. I lingered and waited for him to finish discussing how he had planned to concrete the wheels to the ground for a yard ornament and as he walked away I told him that I couldn't help overhearing that he had a Higgins bike. After a short discussion we agreed to meet about an hour later at a location between us and the rest is history!

A couple of things stand out on this bike. Number one is that it has what looks like a Schwinn springer that had to have been added many years ago and also the chain guard, although very rusty, was once chrome. I have not seen this style chain guard in chrome before although that doesn't mean much.:bigsmile: It also has an interesting kick stand that I've never seen before.

I've had difficulty dating J.C. Higgins bikes in the past so maybe someone can help.

100_4930.jpg

100_4931.jpg

100_4929.JPG

100_4935.JPG

100_4940.jpg

That kick stands is a Higgins stand, my 52 Color-Flow has the same one.

My understanding on that list is that you ignore the 'S' in MOS, so the -L would be a '47.

I was looking for the '47 ad that would list the model 221, but couldn't find anything but the Christmas catalog...and that didn't have bikes in it, just accessories. It did list a chrome chainguard in the accessories, but, I don't know if it is a chrome version of the higgins guard...or just a generic chrome chainguard.

Jason

Latest posts

Back