★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 6-Everything Sanded)

jeeze, all that bare metal is delicious.

I've been studying the fork and I believe Doc is right. It looks like there could be a chance of it snapping at the steer tube :( Guess I'll sell this fork and get something different...maybe triple trees again, just with no rake :wink:

WAIT! I think kingfish is on to something....what if you found a set of Schwinn truss rods w/bracket and flipped them backwards! They would attach at the same spots the stock fork did!

Picture it...come on....you can do it....
$(KGrHqV,!iUE9mKv+!CtBPsHEKds(!~~60_1.JPG

Someone HAS to have a set they's sell ya cheap. Plus, if you pulled it off....... :mrgreen:
Do you still have the rest of the old fork? You could measure it for reference for how long a set you need. Maybe a set from a ladies bike or a middleweight or even an Electra might fit.....see, now you've got me thinking!

I'll start scrubbing the interwebs for ya!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Doc,
I dont think truss rods will work. Truss rods go in front of the fork when the original piece went in back. I don't think it would fit right because these forks are straight while regular forks have a curve. :)

Lots to think about here...I'll get back to work Sunday :shock:

Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 4)

tin machine said:
hey young american , looking great , you've done alot of work !! you got my respect !! if you want to fix your springer just use anothe fork to replace the bent parts on the old one , you can weld a better fork on to that old bracket !! send it to me and ill fix it for you and send it back :!: :!: your doing a great job :!: :!: 8)

I have the exact same Springer Fork on my '59 Columbia Jet Rider, It is a great fork....
I agree with everyone elses opinion of needing both parts, which is why I think you should take Tin Machine up on his offer...
In the one picture you have that kingfish used I'm not seeing what exactly is " bent and twisted " ?

I am Loving this build by the way, great job in going down to the bare metal.....

Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 4)

whoinphx said:
tin machine said:
hey young american , looking great , you've done alot of work !! you got my respect !! if you want to fix your springer just use anothe fork to replace the bent parts on the old one , you can weld a better fork on to that old bracket !! send it to me and ill fix it for you and send it back :!: :!: your doing a great job :!: :!: 8)

I have the exact same Springer Fork on my '59 Columbia Jet Rider, It is a great fork....
I agree with everyone elses opinion of needing both parts, which is why I think you should take Tin Machine up on his offer...
In the one picture you have that kingfish used I'm not seeing what exactly is " bent and twisted " ?

I am Loving this build by the way, great job in going down to the bare metal.....

The support has a dent in the middle :? Looks like someone tried fixing it and ended up puttung 2-3 more dents on back giving it a twist :(

Nice work so far and I love that chain guard!!!!! I am using the same fork on my 49 Schwinn build. Check it out - I am calling it Rock Bottom Rat
Good Luck

I would try to bend it back into shape. You can fill the dents with bondo.

Kingfish-
I might try to fix it, but will see. :)

Peatbog-
Not positive on what I'm doing with it yet :wink: You'll be first to know if I sell it :)

I'm keeping an eye on this one! It's going to be cool! Great job on cleaning it up man, all your hard work paid off. Keep it up :D

Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 7- Paint Masking and Wheel Work)

UPDATE 7
Fought the brutal heat today to work on the Hot Rod Deluxe :shock: I sanded the rusty front wheel and then painted it :wink: I also masked off the chainguard for paint 8)
Wheel before:
005.jpg

Wheel After:
002-1.jpg

Chainguard:
001-2.jpg

Is your sister lined up for some chainguard art?

yoothgeye said:
I'm not sure :? This was the first time I masked myself and it came out pretty good :wink:

Thanks char! :D

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
yoothgeye said:
I'm not sure :? This was the first time I masked myself and it came out pretty good :wink:

I agree, that is some smooth masking.

Sweet work and nice progress!!!

kingfish254 said:
Sweet work and nice progress!!!
Thanks kingfish :D

Yeah, you read correctly :( Lots left to do including paint, assembly, and finding some much needed parts :shock:

I rebuilt the front hub today, but I'm having troubles :? Here is the page :wink:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58911

You'll get it done!!!!

funny-pictures-don-t-talk-just-do-it-5a5ea13bf0.jpg

Latest posts

Back