Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. John DelGato

"New to Wheel building" Question

I don't believe what I'd like to do is possible, but I've learned here it's usually worth asking. Is it possible to build a 26" or 24" wheel using an in-hub 2 speed from a 27"? I have counted the spokes on 3 rear wheels I have handy: -27" with 40 spokes -26" with 38 spokes -24" with 36 spokes...
  2. John DelGato

Schwinn built-in kickstands?

I have a number of 62 Schwinns now, and know nothing of maintaining, removing, installing, rehabbing the incorporated kickstand or it's parts. The latest frame I have picked up is missing the stand; there's simply an empty socket. Any info, advise, experience would be greatly appreciated.
  3. John DelGato

62 SchwinnTiger 24"

Found at a local antique mall for under $ 40... ....At first I thought this was a 20" frame . I may try building it as a scaled up Stringray.
  4. John DelGato

Huffy Sportsman

Brought this home ages ago for pennies. All original from what I can tell. I've only seen one other one. Any thoughts on price / demand would be appreciated.
  5. John DelGato

saw this for sale. what is it?

20" frame with 24" wheels. I saw this heading to my son's soccer game. Any thoughts on year, make, model?
  6. John DelGato

Clear coat or B-L-O?... what is the better choice for bare steel?

... In regard to maintaining a "stainless steel" or "like-chrome" quality? My frame has some rust that i'm concerned might go wild under clear coat.
  7. John DelGato

Headtube, BB, and seat tube care

Once I have sanded/stripped inside of these tubes, what's next? Seems like something should be applied to seal the bare steel.
  8. John DelGato

Any info/thoughts on this quill stem?

It's marked "Raliegh" and looks like magnesium maybe. Road bike? 70's... 80's?
  9. John DelGato

cleaning/degreasing bearings

What works best for cleaning and degreasing bottom bracket and headset bearings?
  10. John DelGato

refinishining headset parts?

This thing looks awful! Any tips on proper cleaning and possible coating/painting? Also, this may be part of a bb assembly but it seems to fit/replace the piece I lost from my headset. Any thoughts there?
  11. John DelGato

Best way to remove BB cups?

What's the best way? Any favorite tricks? I've actually used a screwdriver and mallet to do this.. I'm sure there's a better way.
  12. John DelGato

61 Tornado rebuild

I built this last year while my 62 Typhoon was in the shop. It's pretty much mocked up the way i lke with the exception of paint. So that's the plan: Break it down. Strip the old paint off. Paint it. Rebuild.
  13. John DelGato

Recommend Marine Grease?

Some time back, I was conversing with a bike shop owner who mentioned using marine grease for bearings. Any thoughts or experience with this?
  14. John DelGato

Schwinn Tornado?

I believe my serial number is on the bb but has been obscured beneath thick paint. Not ready to sand/repaint yet. wondering if a bb serial number placement is evidence of a particular year or range of years. I think this looks like a Tornado, but am not certain. Any ideas?
  15. John DelGato

axle adjusters for rear facing dropouts

My frame is made for axle adjusters which I don't have. Do I need the adjusters, or can i make do without? Is it advisable to improvise somehow?
  16. John DelGato

Scruples

I figure I'll start a build thread: Mid-40's Huffman frame Shockmaster fork 60's crank and chainwheel (for now... Huffy or similar) Saddle I found on a space liner frame These modern aluminum wheels may have to go. Front axle is too big for the dropouts. There are a few older wheel sets...
  17. John DelGato

... clean grease and grime off of hands.

I have used olive oil and sugar for this. A small amount of each in the palm, turn on the tap (warm), lightly work the mixture together while rubbing away the grime. rinse off in the water.
  18. John DelGato

Shorten a steer tube

I have a number of front forks lying around here. These are aperfect fit for my 60's frames, but when I sized one of these up for my 40's Huffman it was too long. I am no fabricator. Is there a way to remove the steer tube from the fork, saw off to the desired length, and reattatch?
  19. John DelGato

Broken Shockmaster spring question

I plan to work with advice from another post about replacing both of my own springs. Any advice on removing the threaded pieces (bushings?) from these old springs? https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/want-to-buy-shockmaster-springer-fork-parts.105279/post-1066145 Any help is...
  20. John DelGato

Skiptooth chain masterlink removal

I know there are a couple different tools made for popping the plate out of the masterlink. The new style chains I've worked with simply have a clip that slides over the plate, so I've never invested in a specific tool for this. Is it OK to use needle-nose plyers? This is my first skiptooth...
Back