Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. rms37

Seattle Old Bike/Tacoma Bike Swap Meet – May 3rd

Seattle Old Bike/Tacoma Bike Swap Meet – May 3rd In lieu of holding a 26th Annual Seattle Old Bike Swap Meet for 2014, the event organizers are encouraging vintage vendors/swappers to attend the 6th annual Tacoma Bike Swap sponsored by the City of Tacoma and hosted by the University of Puget...
  2. rms37

Strange/cool frame...but what is it?

It is a mid 60's Westfield/Columbia product. Scroll down this page to see a complete Columbia Fire Arrow. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/show-off-your-bikes-with-tanks.11742/page-2
  3. rms37

Help ID this bike

This frame is not a Snyder product, it is a postwar Manton and Smith built frame and probably dates to the late 40's/early 50's. I haven't done any research on M&S serial numbers so I can't pin the date down any further than that window.
  4. rms37

1937 Cleveland Welding Pilot Supreme

And... The tank button is for the horn and the switch is for the twin Delta Silveray headlights.
  5. rms37

Your serial number means the frame was produced in 1938 and probably dates to the early middle of that year, perhaps late spring through early summer. As others see this post you will probably get numerous PM's about the bike, likely due to the relative rarity/value of some of the parts that...
  6. rms37

Your family bike is a 1938 pattern Cleveland Welding built Supreme model, the top of the line girl’s Cleveland Welding built bicycle from that time period. It is essentially completely correct as it currently stands (including the headlights) and it is one of a few girl’s bicycles that is...
  7. rms37

What year of Hawthorne?

The frame is a standard, late pattern, Cleveland Welding built “3-Gill” frame. The “K” serial numbers were produced during late 1941. The pattern of the chain ring was used exclusively on Montgomery Wards for their Hawthorne line at that time. The fork is not a CWC unit and is a replacement from...
  8. rms37

What year of Hawthorne?

Cleveland Welding built, 1941.
  9. rms37

Help with this roadmaster

This is why ..... Dave! This is a postwar bike! The Cw stamp is only found on postwar Cleveland Welding built bikes and was first used in the latter half of 1947 to separate bicycles built at that time from previous CWC built model that used the same base serial numbers. Your bike is an early...
  10. rms37

Rare Pre-War Elgin Motobike...NOW WITH PHOTOS

Ok Dan, I did some digging and here is a link to the thread involving a bent version of the same bike from FIVE YEARS BACK, wow it didn't seem that long ago! viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11655&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15 I can't add anything past what I posted then (other than resurrecting my...
  11. rms37

Help ID this single bar cantilever

I don't know when the serial numbers were moved from the BB to the dropout but the frame you have is a Snyder built unit and dates to circa 1958-1962. It is not a true cantilever but was obviously styled after Schwinn’s design to capitalize on that frames popularity. These frames, and several...
  12. rms37

Wards Hawthorn Help

The frame was built for Montgomery Ward's Hawthorne line by H.P. Snyder. The serial number indicates it is a 1941 model.
  13. rms37

Western Flyer Shelby? help

By "second tier", I am referring to the fact that prewar Shelby 26” balloon bikes were generally built around two very different series production frames. The more deluxe models were produced using variations of the airflow style frame with the bifurcated top tube. The less expensive models were...
  14. rms37

Western Flyer Shelby? help

This is a Shelby frame! Shelby produced several frame variations (Rainbows, Straightbars, and most commonly Scimitars) on their second tier series of frames and this is one of them. Virtually every manufacturer produced a variation of the “rainbow pattern” double parallel curve tube design...
  15. rms37

Elgin skip tooth ballooner w/ MUCH BETTER PICS

Your bike is an early postwar Elgin. The prewar Elgin branding was still used on Sears bicycles manufactured during and after WW2 until Sears re-branded their bicycle line as J.C. Higgins in early 1946. This bike is one of the less common Westfield supplied bicycles rather than the more common...
  16. rms37

roadmaster frame year?

Important dates to tattoo on your forearm: AMF purchased Cleveland Welding in 1951 AMF purchased Shelby in late 1953/early 1954 and moved Shelby production to Cleveland. AMF built a new bicycle factory in Littlerock Arkansas in 1956 and moved all bicycle production from Cleveland to the new...
  17. rms37

A BEAUTIFUL ROADMASTER

Chain guards were not commonly fitted to boy’s bicycles until the mid thirties. The bend in the drive side crank arm is referred to as a dog leg and is there to give clearance for the chain guard. In spite of the bend, the crankset was designed to center the frame between the pedals when...
  18. rms37

Shelby 20" Tank Bike Find (Pig Bike)

Both the bike in this thread and the blue bike pictured are AMF/CWC built Shelby's rather than true Shelby Ohio Shelby's. AMF purchased Shelby in late 1953/early 1954 and moved production to the AMF owned CWC plant in Cleveland. In doing so the Old Shelby pattern frames were dropped and new...
  19. rms37

A BEAUTIFUL ROADMASTER

This bike is a "1941 model" spec. Roadmaster (although technically it could have been produced between late 1940 and the beginning of 1942.) The "Bent-Tank" style frame was not produced after the war so any bike with this frame is a prewar bike (or again, technically, a wartime bike if it were...
  20. rms37

Cleveland Welding Company Roadmaster

With those dropouts the frame and fork date between 1950 and 1954. The serial number will pin it down further.
Back