Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. bikewhorder

Volo in Legno (Wooden Flight)

Thanks for all the love, you guys are the best.
  2. bikewhorder

I think i'm officially dropping out. Im at crossroads right now where I need to either get some stuff done this summer or finish this bike. There's absolutely no way I will have enough time to get it done and unfortunately the demands of my housing situation are going to have to take precedence...
  3. bikewhorder

Anybody else feel like they're just trapped on a hamster wheel and there's no way off? There's nothing in the world I want to do more than work on this bike and yet I never get past my have-to-do list and on to my want-to -do stuff. I haven't even had time to think about it, let alone work on...
  4. bikewhorder

My GF put a few keywords into an AI program for a wooden bicycle and it spit out this. Crazy.
  5. bikewhorder

Finally got back in the shop for a little bit more progress tonight. I am way way behind from where I wanted to be at this point. I'll just keep doing what I can.
  6. bikewhorder

It's starting to look like the picture.
  7. bikewhorder

So that's two glued up and six more to go...
  8. bikewhorder

I got one section glued up today and a few more sections steam bent.
  9. bikewhorder

I got a second section steam bent tonight.
  10. bikewhorder

So still creeping along. I have four molds. Each mold will be used to make a right and a left side. I got one side of one mold steam bent tonight. Seven more to go...
  11. bikewhorder

It's possible I forgot to mention that. It's actually ash. tapering from a quarter inch to an eigth inch.
  12. bikewhorder

Sanding all the layers into tapers is pretty tedious but it's coming along.
  13. bikewhorder

Yes that's my steambox set up. It really doesn't take very long but you gotta make sure you have steam all around. And you have to move fast because it only works while it's hot.
  14. bikewhorder

I made a little more progress. It's amazing how much of that wood I milled up wasn't even usable. I kept running into worm holes and other defects, there were even nails in there. This is what's left.
  15. bikewhorder

Thompson Classic BO18 Challenge

I don't really understand why we're giving out prizes for the first person done. Don't non-procrastinators already have enough advantages in life?
  16. bikewhorder

A little bit more progress. I made a taper jig and I made a steambox set up and bent my first piece. I was really hoping to avoid having to steam them but the bends are just a little too tight And I didn't want to make it out of 1/16 veneers.
  17. bikewhorder

I had to put away the lathe for a bit. I spent the entire evening resawing lumber.
  18. bikewhorder

I stayed late after work and got a bit of work done on the lathe. I'm sort of reinventing the wheel a little bit with the head tube/headset. It's basically going to work more like a door hinge with bushings. I could explain why but you'll just have to stay tuned.
  19. bikewhorder

I made a little crumb of progress this week. I managed to get one board sliced up into layers. I actually have just enough wood to make this work so I need to be incredibly efficient and a little bit lucky. Because i'm book matching the pieces I need to get six layers out of each board. It's...
  20. bikewhorder

Abner DONE!

Why didn't you say something, i've got a box full of those!
Back