Rat Rod Bike Trailer............ DONE!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I started with the idea that I wanted a trailer to haul my bikes behind my rat rod truck. This idea came about from the new rat rod bikes t-shirts with bikes in the bed of the hot rod truck. My lil' 4 ft. Bed will not hold a bike so I needed a trailer. I thought about just buying a harbor freight trailer and modifying it, but I wanted something old to somewhat match my truck. I called about a small boat trailer listed on Craigslist for $100.00 but someone got it before me. Finally, I was talking to one of the guys that I work with, and he said that he had an old 8 ft. trailer that he would take $100.00 for. He was mad at his son for bending the front bar on the trailer, and I have sold him some carbs and other car parts before. So, I went and got the trailer yesterday. It does set fairly low, but it will have to be lower to look right behind my truck.

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

Here is an underneath view, as you can see, it will be a simple task to just flip the axle to lower the trailer 3-4 inches.
IMG_14461.JPG

Here is the bent front bar that was an issue with the original owner and his son.
IMG_14471.JPG

And here it is after I put a come-along on it and pulled across the frame on the other side.
IMG_14481.JPG

So, I flipped the old girl on her back and started removing the axle.
IMG_1452.JPG

And here it is after I flipped the axle, there is 3 1/4 inch of travel before the axle hits the frame. I am sure that since this trailer will only be hauling 3 bikes at a time, that is plenty of travel.
IMG_1453.JPG

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that this is a tilt bed trailer, bonus!
IMG_14491.JPG

I removed the fender to figure our the best way to move and remount them. Notice how high the bed is compared to the tire height.
IMG_14511.JPG

This is how it sat before I flipped the axle and moved the fenders.
IMG_14502.JPG

And this is how it sits after the axle flip and the relocated fender. I gave it about 3 1/2 inches of clearance between the tire and fender, so if it does ever bottom out, the tire won't touch the fender.
IMG_14562.JPG

Last post for today, here are the pictures as it is now. Level trailer bed sits at just 14 inches now, that should work out nicely with my lowered truck. I plan to install 3 rails for my bikes, with the center one forward of the others to give plenty of clearance between handlebars etc. It will also have to be painted so it somewhat matches my truck. If I get real inventive, it would be nice to make the rails removable, so I could use it as a camping or utility trailer if needed.
IMG_14541.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

I have to keep this "ole reliable" decal on it, it is just too cool.
IMG_14571.JPG

For a second I thought you had purchased an old Harbor Fright trailer..but I see the side rails appear to be rectangular tubing, making it far superior.

You may want to install a skid of some sort at the back for when you leave an inclined driveway. At the very least make sure no wiring or lighting is going to hit when it drags. If you have any speed bumps around... check its clearance out and see if you need to do any other mods...

If you were up here in the rust belt I'd also recommend doing some sort of rust treatment inside the tubing... I just finished splicing in new tubing on a trailer up here due to internal rust, and it wasn't pretty inside any of the remaining tubing either. Externally the trailer looked new and we only touched up the paint where the splices were once we were done.

Looks like it will be a great addition to your bike acquisition fleet!

Yeah, it doesn't sit as low as the rat rot truck that will be pulling it. And, all of the wiring stops at the fenders where the lights are mounted, so I should be o.k. there too. It looks like all of the metal is in good shape. Thanks for your insight!!

nice trailer! can't wait to see it hooked to you truck and actually see your truck :blush:
found that picture few days ago , could be a simple was to lower it even more:)
stancetrailer.jpg

Ha, I actually thought about doing that for a minute. I would have to have taller tires and either do some serious fab work on the fenders or remove them completely. I will post some more pics soon.

I ordered 3 willworx superstand extreme bike stands and connectors, the I checked to see how they fit on the trailer.

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

I will attach them through the floor when I finish paint work on the trailer.

I loaded some bikes onto the trailer to make sure that my spacing worked out O.K.. The fender on my Shelby hits the top of the stand, so some mods would have to be made if I plan to haul that bike.

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_14651.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

So, I went to Lowe's and got some of the deck restore 10x paint for the boards, and I painted the metal satin black. I think it looks pretty fair, tomorrow I will attach the stands, maybe paint the wheels and add a couple of eye bolts. Then I'll be done!!

IMG_14691.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_14721.JPG

IMG_14711.JPG

You need room for one more bike on there, don't you?

O.K. it is finished. I thought that I would have it done early today, but I chased wiring issues all morning. Then, when I thought everything was cool, all of the lights went out again. They had all lights grounded to the frame and the ground wire attached to the tounge with a self tapping screw. Being a tilt bed trailer, there was enough rust at the hinge bolts to not give a good ground. I moved the ground to the frame and all is well!

IMG_14771.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_14781.JPG

I wanted to make the tire and wheel combo match the truck as much as possible. So, after some troubles that I had with fusion paint and fiberglass, I read that fusion paint is good for painted white walls. I painted the wheels gold metallic.

Latest posts

Back