Coaster Brake Challenge 13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean this thing?

16014855019_0e973becac_z.jpg

Very cool idea!

Luke.

Yeah, that's the thing....

Luke, I know you got a FB; if you "like" the Coaster Culture page, you'll get to see this guy's rides and tinkerings. Interesting, out-of-the-box kinds of stuff, all about offroading on a coaster bike....

Well each type of hub, i.e. Bendix, Shimano etc, had a different diameter so you'd need to make one with shim or different ones. I did not ask how much but I'd say a 100 bucks worth of machining would be a fair estimate. And then sell them to whom? We were discussing this at the first race and I said the market was these 25 guys and girls, most of which had bikes that cost less than the trick part that was the topic. The idea is great but it is so esoteric, I don't know if one would sell any at all. I saw that Handsome cycles made some trick coaster brake for about 140 bucks I can't see them flying out of there being that is just a cool sealed bearing shell with KT guts. I could be wrong though.

Nah, I think you're right about the KT/Handsome hub....I mean, that's basically what I heard about the hub when it came out. I never saw one in-person. And yeah, you're probably right about there being no real market for that thing now, but I bet it would've found a niche back when coasters ruled the Earth. I live and ride in the flatlands, so I don't have the same level of coaster tribulations as you hill-folk do. I mean, it gets HOT after a good ride off-road, but I doubt if I could cook bacon on the hubshell the way you Cali guys do. It doesn't barely get hot at all on a road cruise. Of course, on these 20degree days, it stays cold as can be,,,,I just love the idea of coaster technology, even if i don't need it, it's the best kind of oxymoron.

Yeah, that's the thing....

Luke, I know you got a FB; if you "like" the Coaster Culture page, you'll get to see this guy's rides and tinkerings. Interesting, out-of-the-box kinds of stuff, all about offroading on a coaster bike....
:thumbsup: Done!

I have been toying with a similar idea but in steel, basically welding some washers to a coaster body to increase the surface area for heat dissipation, would not work anywhere near as good as this idea though...

Luke.

I made a cooling fin on one but the hub was so worn already I was not sure if it did anything or not.

Yeah we did, no pics though. Camera man got lost. :)

Coaster Brake Challenge

Heat 4 Rain or Shine

The Will loop!

Starbucks

9935 Topanga Canyon

Chatsworth, Ca 91311

7am meet, 8 am ride.

January 25th.

Spectators: 7

Meat Pylons: 3

Brakeage: 5

Loop style, pretty easy which mean it's pretty hard because you can't let up. 10 laps and then you'll have to test your mental prowess to get your completed course points. You'll most likely end up cursing my name at the end. After party around the corner with prizes, food and libations, bring your friends!

Latest posts

Back