Repair minor wheel bends

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Picked up a pair of 26" wheels for a future project and after tear down and removal of old spokes and hubs, discovered some slight bends that need to be fixed.

Mainly like the wheel was dropped and bead is slightly wider now.

Maybe make a lever type tool to gently straighten this area?

Got the hoops cheap and I think they can be saved. Went looking through past 'how to' threads and didn't find much.

These will eventually be blasted of the old chrome and painted or powder coated, so not worried about saving the finish to straighten the rim.

These may even be my first attempt at wheel building. Going on a project bike that I am trying to keep older parts.

Worksman frame, monark springer with deep fenders. Found a mid 60's schwinn handlebar. Still looking for the right saddle and post. Also the drive line. Will start a build thread when I get started.

See ya,
Rod

I wanna offer encouragement; you can prolly make those rims serviceable again, and you seem to have a fine basis for your project, but some pics of the damaged rim(s) would help us advise as to the best methods for fixin' them.

If the bead appears spread apart at one point or another, I'd probably try using a small C-clamp to gently compress that spot back into shape. The clamp offers much more control than simply pounding on the rim and hoping for the best. Use some cardboard or soft wooden shims to prevent blemishes on the rim surface.

Not to worry! See the above c-clamp fix. It sounds like the typical curb-hit, which "widens" the beads. You need to also recognize that when you hit a curb hard enough to "widen" the rim bead, you also "flat" the rim where the curb hit....this is not fixable really...Unless a creative ratter here has found out how to round it back out.....

Here is the area to be fixed, really the only damage other than the rust.
baron%20bike2004.jpg

There are uncommon tools, such as the one pictured, that can help to return a faulty rim into "roundness." I have to admit that I've never seen one.

11267799_1_l.jpg

On the other hand, I HAVE seen a bench tool to restore the proper bead width. It looks much like an English wheel, with two adjustable steel rollers on the top and bottom. I'm not convinced that it provides a better result than the C-clamp & patience. Sorry that I could not find an image of this tool anywhere.

I would wrap a rag over the bead and use vice grip, but not too tight, to gently bring it back. That doesn't look bad and should straighten out fine.

Now that is a cool "rounding" tool....nice. Never seen one. The above rim looks easy to fix sideways tho.
The bend looks NOT like a curb hit. Easy fix....

I lay the flat side of the rim on a flat board and strike the raised side with a deadblow hammer. These hammers resemble a rubber mallet,but have a hollow head filled with steel shot. Example - Estwing CCD45 on Amazon.For the out of round curb bend; support the rim on 2 sides and swing deadblow hammer against the bend.I am right handed in this example- I use a doorway ( door jamb? ). Open the door. Place rim on floor and braced on left side by the door frame.The bend is midway between the floor and door frame.Then hammer away with a soft face mallet.This is for old single wall steel rims like you show.

yep I was leaning towards the crescent wrench idea myself. Rims will be blasted clean so not worried about saving finish, but I don't want to ding the metal trying to fix the bend. Got a welding buddy who has some wide jaw vise grips that I may try also. Will post the method I have success with.

Rims had tires and tubes on, so I missed this bend until I went to tear down the wheels. Will straighten and continue with the build. Teaser thread started and these rims are part of it!

Got to work on the beast chopper project first.

Got it!

Used a small ball peen hammer and a large dia dowel as a drift.

Laid the rim down with the bend area up, cut a notch out of the end of the dowel and that gave me a D shape at the end of the dowel to keep dowel up against the rim.

Then just started whamming away increasing force and checking progress.

You have to really look hard to see where that bend was.

Now to get the rims blasted clean and powder coated for assembly.

Thanks for the advise. On with the project.

See ya,
Rod

I have used the above tool hundreds of times. It works well but it will crush Schwinn double wall rims (or any other double wall rims). You will end up with two flat spots on the top of the rim.

Latest posts

Back