B plus K equals new life

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neighbour of ours in the village has spent most of the winter sending us adverts for brand new bikes he was 'considering' buying, but somehow the amount of money involved in buying a new bike just seemed more like a dream.

Finally, though, one of his relatives gave him a well used bike. Well used enough that it had tape over the gear change rubbers, tape covering the seat and a replacement rear wheel. The front forks were also solid. The bike was a Kross, a Polish made bike that is very popular these days, I even have one, a much better one, in one of my barns for when I want to ride longer distances. This one, though, had done most of the things it was bought for, and just wanted to be left forgotten in a shed.

I kind of did a temporary fix to the punctured front tube, made sure the brakes worked and gave it a trial run to make sure that the frame was not bent or something. Everything was fine until I tweaked the rear gear changer, which sent the derailleur into the spokes - and broke its aluminium mount.

I was not too bothered about it, but I put it on my work bench, fiddled around with it once or twice over the weekend. The BB was toast, the mudguards we held on with plastic straps, but the front forks did start to move up and down.

AP1GczNKVX5_Tr7ur1uqrdJnyzlNDPq5NyqUX9LOZaYdRMS7DW59ODxT4abF3WO22MXVkTZMtUvTlqpDiu5RW1T08w0XGeUCfsSRHzPsAXS_VsrKbZGAPG-XGlLSfzziTqASL6gf3_8gfCJOTE6XrNLR-Kc0=w1271-h953-s-no-gm

Then I remembered a Btwin frame I had, made for that massive French sporting goods shop, Decathlon, and the few bits that had come with it. It has quite a nice front suspension fork, but it is only a 7 speed derailleur instead of the 9 speed on the Kross.

AP1GczOeOaUYP9-84VfqSazZ-UHLg7r9SMzVHtfptKPpe5gDz1U2OzALfdNcP34heNO185WbPoCoZ-VYJKWN-vF3IVnO3hN_BB-pHz7BQSiwxZYVD4gwJCiMKgB_sy1uQkK7xZ9oSYVOi72hzWU-OoxlqwKo=w715-h953-s-no-gm

This one had lived in a nice part of a city instead of the back end of a village, so most of the things still on it are still in quite good condition. They both take 26" wheels and the same types of brake, and I am sure I can find a BB to fit.

So that is my latest project.

The front forks have started working properly, and I wonder whether anyone knows what that bolt on the 'bottom' of the forks does? Can you top up the oil inside them?

AP1GczM29uBJRdQmk3AS1WlY8RXTCDTWpsVEuCxTNgDq7b_BGg93bpjGjldxYiP6fDJh0OHHAO0Z_USXiOfx12yVqIXtqPOpCAQzh8_jZIlBT1Xunvz8r9ZdHsXQBkdZ1lRkQupcI9UBWB8EuLYuU29G9TUN=w715-h953-s-no-gm

Now the forks that fit the other frame look good, with just a minor oil leak mark on the stems. This is definitely the best set of forks I have - well, other than the ones on my own rideable Kross, but they are not going to be casually swopped around.

The mudguards look to be in good condition, but somehow the mounts have all gotten broken and are now strapped on.

AP1GczPt2QI1Lp7DebbdktfQWTvOfFKrbI_eAn_nYFTXCd7JHrypeNBMxGvoyXYUqTLa9FzIXAEkChyj6RXwOcdxkeAiAzbpK7zdmb7q9NsXQe1Ldfj8w3HzrRAO2QCxXyG6bdiU8gZXcjasoeDUT5izVL34=w715-h953-s-no-gm

See, almost sparkly white, now the stickers have been peeled off...

They especially look good in comparison to the cheap yellow and silver forks behind it.

The bike, when you look at it from a little distance, looks like a presentable bike, but when you get up close - like here - the good bits look a lot less good...

I am not sure what you have to do to your bike to end up with a such a rusty bearing.

AP1GczOj0-DO8Bwp0zSGaaxD0agbUge8GSliUcHDIVdMfySeIpt-erfqPk1ht4bRzQh33tXlucT3Lb151oUpbr-cAAZ9VA-1Mw71Qel51oKdzO3ZVtOaZmIeIlmDBKZGZtf1wujKV6zVSGZMnEdXP7XRRwCf4A=w715-h953-s-no-gm

I had a spare front triple sprocket that weighed a ton, and as an option for this bike I thought I would shave some excess weight off. I have never been that keen about multi-sprockets at the front end, even though I bought my Kross with a set on - but one day, when I can afford a bigger rear gear set, it will go.

One day I might remove the plastic covering from the crank, sand the crank smooth and paint it black.

I wonder if that small sprocket would fit on the rear?

AP1GczP9CL4iFn3L87OjxBcs6Ijf3QhoUOP4BU0nuJyflCMGDn5QqgQdpTCEReA_23uPXQhWczuR2fKuhmf2Yh_B9HHGNnnWk-6IF6a3RTC2YdEr3qJnFYPq5Xk41la7QWyZ43N1ciXpxOJnswQJnoJF5JO7Qg=w715-h953-s-no-gm

Anyway, for now, the plastic stays, but here it is with a new coat of paint.

AP1GczMrpzoiJPtDIfxty9q3v3Qx9tr8zsos8aMNpvf4HlfkwglFIOC0NYApzeq3YaafE28cDs0lOMxv90_dcRCp2a-qD6FsFVsUSfD4bBpvsoHv1z2-sQGmW9_eczYTZpfiJlAWMtrlqcnm-37fyyoi8n1dSA=w715-h953-s-no-gm

The stuff behind is the main part of this barn, with our next year's firewood stacked up with the chopping block and scraps at the bottom right.

Back