TRADITIONAL Twin Stik Spitfire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne

Stik Shift
Pro Member
Reaction score
Well I am old, in cancer remission, but still kicking. Hopefully I can complete this build if I can find all the parts I squirreled away over the years. This frame started life in 1965 as a Typhoon, will now sport a more fitting name. I repainted this frame 20 years ago. Originally black with lots of scratches, black is easy to duplicate, so here it is:

20240503_124821.jpg

20240503_124916a.jpg

Pictures taken today, complete with the rope I hung it with to dry 2 decades ago.
The heart of this build will be the twin Stik Shifter to operate the Sturmey S-5 hub, also from the 1960's.

Well I am old, in cancer remission, but still kicking. Hopefully I can complete this build if I can find all the parts I squirreled away over the years. This frame started life in 1965 as a Typhoon, will now sport a more fitting name. I repainted this frame 20 years ago. Originally black with lots of scratches, black is easy to duplicate, so here it is:

View attachment 264116

View attachment 264118

Pictures taken today, complete with the rope I hung it with to dry 2 decades ago.
The heart of this build will be the twin Stik Shifter to operate the Sturmey S-5 hub, also from the 1960's.
Nice!
I am using a '65 Typhoon frame as well. Excited to see what you do with yours!

Welcome aboard the RRB Build Off train, @Wayne ! My first 26" bike was a Typhoon. I'll be watching as you transform this one!

Glad to hear you are in remission. Building this beauty in the build off should help as well. We always have fun.
Those twinshift Sturmeys are cool. Is your shifter the kind that has a big stickshift, then a smaller one next to it for overdrive gears?

Glad to hear you are in remission. Building this beauty in the build off should help as well. We always have fun.
Those twinshift Sturmeys are cool. Is your shifter the kind that has a big stickshift, then a smaller one next to it for overdrive gears?
I do have one of those twin stick Sturmey shifters, but I will not be using that. I did make the modified shifter years ago, then I used the three speed side, on this Schwinn Street Series XL.

100_0779_1.jpg

100_0778_1.jpg

So I will be making another twin Schwinn Stik shifter for this build. I will document it completely.

Everyone is very busy on their builds, I enjoy reading them! I, also have been busy searching through the basement for parts to complete my build.

Found:
Bottom bracket cups, bearings, nuts, etc.
Head tube, all parts too.
Stem
Crank
Pedals
Seat post clamps (couple to chose from)
Many brake parts
The whole box of Stik Shifters

Wheels and tires were easy, hanging from the rafters with lots of spider webs tracks.

One key part I have not yet located is the bellcrank for the left side shifter on the Sturmey S-5. That is not good, may have to make one.

s-l1600i.jpg

s-l1600j.jpg

I found one one ebay, they only want $125.00 😢 plus shipping......

View attachment 264116

View attachment 264118

Great start! I love a Schwinn build. Glad you are in remission✌🏻

Moving this thread up, I want everyone to know I'm still in this. From the found Stik Shift box, pictures and history.....

20240511_165724.jpg

1966 and 1967

20240511_165731.jpg

20240511_165738.jpg

Early 1969

20240511_165754.jpg

Mid 1969

20240511_165802.jpg

Late 1969

20240511_165843.jpg

1970-1973

The 1966 Schwinn 3sp Stingray was the first model to have the patented 3sp stick. This Stik Shift had a smooth straight handle and a smooth cover. The round Bakelite knob was heat stamped with the “3” and silver inlay paint. (This paint faded to a yellowed white)

Late in 1966, or for 1967 the five speed Fastback had the modified 3sp Stik Shift. The shifter body had the fancy 3sp guts removed and friction washers took their place. This shifter body did not have the detent ball and spring cup hole or handle stops punched into it. I believe these early 5sp shifter bodies had two small holes drilled and pin handle stops welded in. To make this shifter work the derailleur 5sp gear set, the shifter overload tube and spring were added. Both the 1967 3 and 5 speed shifters had the same as 1966 smooth straight handle and respective heat stamped 3 and 5 round knobs.

The 1968 handles were the first change, now ribbed but still straight. Same round heat stamped knobs. This is where I’ m not sure, the side cover ribs?? Mid 1968 or 1969?

Well, 1969 a banner year for Schwinn! The numbers were lost but I’m betting they sold more Stingrays than any other year. I also have a theory about the shifter handles, so here me out. All handles and covers from 1969 to 1973 were ribbed. The early 1969 Stik Shift handles had two bends, the first bend leaned the handle towards the top tube of the frame and the second bend away from the top tube. The knob was round and had a small inlay bright metal disc. Later in 1969 was the same two bend handle with a larger tulip shaped knob. The last group of 1969 handles had three bends, the first bend leaned towards the top tube, the second bend, back to straight up and the third bend sharp 90 degrees away from the top tube. This handle also had the larger tulip shaped knob.

Ok, I’m I boring you yet? My theory about the time release of these handles since some collectors have stated they have a late year production 1969 with what I’ve called an early handle. Schwinn starts the year with a pallet box filled with handles. Maybe a third of the way through the year this supply is low, hey we need more handles! Schwinn stamps them out, chromes them and calls the Bakelite Company and says “We need more knobs.” Bakelite Co. “Sure have them made in a month.” Schwinn, “No we need them now!” Bakelite Co. “We just finished these tulip shaped knobs……

Now a few months later this pallet box is getting low again, what’s down the bottom, some of the early run handles with the round knobs? So some later model bikes get the early shifter handles. Fill the box again with the three bend handle, but mixed in the box is all three styles.

The 1970 through 1973 shifter handles, two bends, three slotted holes, tulip shaped knob. Now the knob point straight up, the bright metal disc is printed with the 3 or 5.

Moving this thread up, I want everyone to know I'm still in this. From the found Stik Shift box, pictures and history.....

View attachment 265172
1966 and 1967

View attachment 265173

View attachment 265174
Early 1969

View attachment 265175
Mid 1969

View attachment 265176
Late 1969

View attachment 265177
1970-1973

The 1966 Schwinn 3sp Stingray was the first model to have the patented 3sp stick. This Stik Shift had a smooth straight handle and a smooth cover. The round Bakelite knob was heat stamped with the “3” and silver inlay paint. (This paint faded to a yellowed white)

Late in 1966, or for 1967 the five speed Fastback had the modified 3sp Stik Shift. The shifter body had the fancy 3sp guts removed and friction washers took their place. This shifter body did not have the detent ball and spring cup hole or handle stops punched into it. I believe these early 5sp shifter bodies had two small holes drilled and pin handle stops welded in. To make this shifter work the derailleur 5sp gear set, the shifter overload tube and spring were added. Both the 1967 3 and 5 speed shifters had the same as 1966 smooth straight handle and respective heat stamped 3 and 5 round knobs.

The 1968 handles were the first change, now ribbed but still straight. Same round heat stamped knobs. This is where I’ m not sure, the side cover ribs?? Mid 1968 or 1969?

Well, 1969 a banner year for Schwinn! The numbers were lost but I’m betting they sold more Stingrays than any other year. I also have a theory about the shifter handles, so here me out. All handles and covers from 1969 to 1973 were ribbed. The early 1969 Stik Shift handles had two bends, the first bend leaned the handle towards the top tube of the frame and the second bend away from the top tube. The knob was round and had a small inlay bright metal disc. Later in 1969 was the same two bend handle with a larger tulip shaped knob. The last group of 1969 handles had three bends, the first bend leaned towards the top tube, the second bend, back to straight up and the third bend sharp 90 degrees away from the top tube. This handle also had the larger tulip shaped knob.

Ok, I’m I boring you yet? My theory about the time release of these handles since some collectors have stated they have a late year production 1969 with what I’ve called an early handle. Schwinn starts the year with a pallet box filled with handles. Maybe a third of the way through the year this supply is low, hey we need more handles! Schwinn stamps them out, chromes them and calls the Bakelite Company and says “We need more knobs.” Bakelite Co. “Sure have them made in a month.” Schwinn, “No we need them now!” Bakelite Co. “We just finished these tulip shaped knobs……

Now a few months later this pallet box is getting low again, what’s down the bottom, some of the early run handles with the round knobs? So some later model bikes get the early shifter handles. Fill the box again with the three bend handle, but mixed in the box is all three styles.

The 1970 through 1973 shifter handles, two bends, three slotted holes, tulip shaped knob. Now the knob point straight up, the bright metal disc is printed with the 3 or 5.

Thanks for the great info.

Back