Schwinns are ugly and don't play nice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to touch any more Schwinns. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but what is the obsession people have with Schwinns? And the tire size issue, some one should get a flogging for.
Anyways. I did find this cool Collegiate 24 inch and built it for my sister. Took it out for a ride and it wouldn't go straight. Fork was bent. So I slapped a mtb fork on her. She rides pretty nice, pretty much like a 24 inch bmx.
P1010332.jpg

P1010333.jpg

Safety green! ugly, wish I could put a knobby tire on the back.

I worked in a Schwinn shop way back in the day, so that explains my interest. As far as everyone else goes I think that a good part of it is the fact that Schwinn made some really good bikes bitd and if you wound up with an off brand bike you really wanted that shiny new Schwinn. A lot of people are looking to get the bike that they couldn't get when they were young or are just trying to replace the one that is long lost.
Tires are still available and not super expensive. Your build looks pretty cool, and I'll bet that 'ol Schwinn is a blast to ride. Cheers.

gashuffy63 said:
A lot of people are looking to get the bike that they couldn't get when they were young or are just trying to replace the one that is long lost.
One good thing is they still look like the one you had when you were young.......Its like gee what year is your cantilever frame? Mines a 50's ....yours is a 2009.
maddogrider said:
I think my Schwinn bikes just ride better than the others.
Bulloney....Close your eyes and you couldnt tell a Schwinn from a Univega......all ride the same. :wink:

Uncle Stretch said:
gashuffy63 said:
A lot of people are looking to get the bike that they couldn't get when they were young or are just trying to replace the one that is long lost.
One good thing is they still look like the one you had when you were young.......Its like gee what year is your cantilever frame? Mines a 50's ....yours is a 2009.
maddogrider said:
I think my Schwinn bikes just ride better than the others.
Bulloney....Close your eyes and you couldnt tell a Schwinn from a Univega......all ride the same. :wink:

I was wondering when you would chime in on this Unc. I don't recommend anyone riding with their eyes closed though. :shock: :lol:

Any brand can get bent, but that tire sizing thing is asinine. I like old Schwinns OK, aside from the fractional tires, but I also like certain models of most other brands.

i am not too fond of the odd tire size schwinns but the fat tire schwinns i think are some of the best finished vintage bikes out there. to each his own i love schwinns

In my opinion, they definitely made better quality bikes from the 60s on up.

The craftsmanship of the frames, welding, chrome and paint were a lot better quality than their off brand counterparts.

They are a definite piece of Americana that most people have fond memories of as kids...especially the muscle bike generation.

I've been working on Schwinns for the past 4 years now and their parts and tire sizing haven't been that big of an issue for me.

But hey, to each his own. :wink:

I hate new schwinns.. there is no quality. American schwinn made in chicago, great quality, cool styling, and as steve said, Americana.

PICT0049.jpg

I own the green one my friend owns the red. Cool bikes, great riders. BUT HEY AS OTHERS Said. to each his own.

Ever since I have joined I have always had a little sharp stick to poke at Schwinn people. Is just so much fun. Growing up in the south we had two choices in bikes...Schwinn and Western Flyers. I have a bunch of differant bikes , I love Elgins alot and own 4 or so . I have a couple Schwinns too, But It always makes me happy when I find a Hiawatha :roll: :roll: :roll:

personally, i like the schwinns because theyre sturdy, most 70s and 80s ones can be had on the cheap, and they made MILLIONS each year. :D oh and it ticks off purists to see a chopped up stingray. :lol: :p

as you can tell by my handle, I like old Schwinns....when I was a kid in the 60s we started in
with the bmx riding by turning our muscle bike into dirt riders with motor cycle handle bars
and knobby tires and my friends and I broke every kind of bike we could get our hands on
except Schwinns they were just plain tough bikes and good looking too !
I'll keep riding them as long as I can :mrgreen:

Dude how ....... is your 24''!!!!Man I would kill to see that bike with a metal flake banana seat,sissy bar,mini chrome apes white grips,smoothie small block white wall tires and a rear slick!Turn that bike into a 24'' stingray!!That blue OG schwinn paint is one of my favorite colors of all time,along with the red they had.

Uncle Stretch said:
Ever since I have joined I have always had a little sharp stick to poke at Schwinn people. Is just so much fun. Growing up in the south we had two choices in bikes...Schwinn and Western Flyers. I have a bunch of differant bikes , I love Elgins alot and own 4 or so . I have a couple Schwinns too, But It always makes me happy when I find a Hiawiatha :roll: :roll: :roll:
Must be the challenge in it for ya to try to make an Elgine or a Hiawhata ride as good as a SCHWINN :lol: :lol:
I only close my eye when i drink to much whiskey and try to ride around. But still know im rideing a SCHWINN :mrgreen:

Well, touchy subject I see. I guess we agree that Schwinns made in the US are well constructed.

This is what I was talking about when I said UGLY. Here's a Columbia in front of a Schwinn. The frame geometry of the Schwinn has a more laid back seat tube and the front end is higher. The Columbia is 13 years older but takes much tighter turns, and feels more like a regular mtb bike not a "cruiser". For me the angle of the Columbia feels better on my knees, rides better and looks nicer. This is a difference I can tell "with my eyes closed" too. Also, I'm coming from a road cycling background so I'm not into the super laid back cruiser feel. That's my two cents anyways.
P1010359.jpg

I've lucked out and found a few cool Schwinns, but I like nearly all the old bikes. I agree that the Schwinns (Chicago iron!) are better built. But if I adopt a Schwinn superiority complex, I think that would hurt my participation in the hobby.

On the tighter turns,that will only depend on bike length and the headtube angle and length of your fork.The headtube from that picture looks to be the same on both of those bikes.So maybe you feel more stable on one over the other.The schwinn with a more laidback seat tube will stretch your body out more,so if your a shorter rider I guess that could come into play.

Uncle Stretch... this one is for you. Lol

poke.gif

All I remember is back in the early 70's when I was a lot younger, we used to build ramps out in the street to jump our bikes, and my old stingray was like a tank, it held up better that the rest of the bikes in the neighborhood, I could beat the crap out of it all day long and it was always good to go for more!

Back