Coca Cola tandem "tandemonium!" 3/21

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LBS is having me restore their old tandem. Apparently it was used in an 80's or 90's Coke commercial. I believe it from the crappy paint job, all of the chrome was painted white so no glare would shine into the camera. They badged and stickered it as a Schwinn, but it is definitely not. It's going to stay as a Coke theme, but get proper paint, a lot of chrome, and he wants me to keep it as a Schwinn for some reason. Oh well, should be a fun experience. Now to get started.

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

Re: Coca Cola tandem

sweet man. Liking' the bike. Nothin' better then coca cola.. :D

After a few hours of disassembling (and some cuss words) I'm ready to sandblast this sucker.
IMG_2402.jpg

Found this cool little Wilbur Wright sticker on the seat tube.
IMG_2406.jpg

These forks look straight, right?
IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

Chainguard? Or hockey stick?
IMG_2408.jpg

Got some parts together so I thought I'd do a little mock up. Found some forks at the shop with canti mounts, not sure if he wants to use them or just remove them. New set of wheels with beefy spokes and a Shimano coaster hub, and a new pair of knobby whitewalls. Just waiting to get the frame blasted or stripped, and then the fun begins.

IMG_2414.jpg

I spent a few hours stripping the bike today, I gotta say the bare rusty metal look is cool but not going to stay. All of the paint on the fenders came off except for the original pinstripes, weird.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

Finally got the frame primed and wet sanded, then laid down the white base coat. Just waiting for the red vinyl coke stickers to get done so that I can match the red paint to it.

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

Re: Coca Cola tandem "tandemonium!" 9/14

Quick update on a slow build. The frame is painted and ready for silver pinstipes, decals, and clearcoat. They originally wanted a schwinn badge and decals, but I convinced him to keep it a western flyer, of course now I can't find any cool WF decals :? I've got all of the coke stickers ready. Also found some chrome duckbill fenders for it, along with a ton of new chrome and rubber parts. Hopefully the next post will be finished pics.

IMG_2723.jpg

Ive got to say, thats one of the nicest tandem frames Ive seen, the lines just flow. The paint is looking great, keep the pics coming :D

Nice! I like the colors. That red is nice and bright. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Started pinstriping the silver, and stopped because I hate it. I thought it would look good, I was wrong. You can't really thin out silver too much, and I think it looks like cheap chrome pinstripe tape. Looks like I'll be going with black instead. One step forward, two steps back :|

IMG_2738.jpg

I'm liking the black a lot more. That one inside curve is super tricky to stripe.

IMG_2750.jpg

the black looks good, id probably like the silver better if only the stripes were skinnier. still nice choice with the black !!!

I think I hate the black now too :x Something just isn't right to me, so now I'll be carefully wet sanding the stripes off and starting over again. Might cheat and use pinstripe tape this time, no idea on color though. Time to photoshop.

Back