yesterdays stuff. any help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
this is the stuff i brought home yesterday.
021912021.jpg

a '40 to '42 elgin
021912020.jpg

i just put some wheels i had on this one tonite.
i dunno what this is. i think it's a CWC around '36 to '38 hawthorn. maybe shelby?
021912022.jpg

this one i really like. no clue what it is. the headbadge says tribune. the serial# under the BB is L126757
im guessin 40s. the sprocket looks columbia and so does the inside of the head tube.
the dropouts face rearward but theres no adjusters. and no seat"post".
i poked around on the web and some vintage bike sites, but no luck. anyone ever heard/seen such a thing?
021912018.jpg

this is the keeper. i think its an early 30s elgin. thats what i thought when i grabbed it i came home and put on these 26" ND wheels and they look kinda small. i wonder if this needs some 28" wood rims? hmmm....i say some here for sale the other day....
#on the BB is M69450

and advice or direction will be great. thanx gang!

Yea, that's a nice CWC - '36-'37 and that is a very hard to get Hawthorne Chain Ring - don't let that one go cheap.(last one I saw on ebay sold for over $60) If the frame has horizontal mounting holes for the head badge there is a good chance it is a Hawthorne. That's also a CWC 36-'37 truss fork w/ the cast truss support which is also a little difficult to find complete - truss rods? Great find - let me know if you don't want it. I'm looking for more '30s frames. Robert

Yeah, some great prewar finds! Regarding the Elgin, the mid-thirties was crossover time from singletube 28" to balloon 26" and I know they both actually used the same frame but spacers were added between the frame and the fender for a 26". Here's my '36 Elgin motobike.

DSCF3341-1.jpg

ok i messed w/ these guys a little today.
thanx jpromo. mine had that fender spacer you showed. i tossed it. but that tells me that mine would've had 26" wheels.

the green tribune is a columbia. approx 1947.

Back